Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

No flash?

I have a Pentax K-x DSLR and I know the basics of how to use it, so I decided I wanted to play around with exposure. I used the Av button and the scroll wheel to change it around and play with it, then I set the exposure back to what it was before. But now my flash won't go off, no matter what setting I'm on, not even Auto. Is there a way I can reset the camera? How do I fix this? Thanks!

12-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you popping it up first?
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Are you popping it up first?
No... how do I do that?
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of options to reset the camera. Page 280 of the manual explains it: Menu, Setup-3, Reset puts Record Mode, Playback and some Setup menus back to factory settings. Custom Setting 4 resets the custom functions. Some settings like time are maintained. I'm not sure resetting will fix your problem, though. It doesn't touch the Flash Mode settings that you change from the four-way controller Flash button.

12-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

There's a little button to the left of thd eyepiece that shows a lightning bolt and trash can in blue ink.
12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The flash works if I open it but everything still looks pretty dark compared to other pictures with flash. Otherwise it won't work if I don't open it first. I'll try setting it back to factory settings, thanks for helping!
12-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

If the flash fires after you do this, you'll have to go to menu settings so the flash pops up automatically when you need it in an auto mode.

But first things first.

12-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Yeah. Go back to factory settings for now.
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The flash comes up on its own now but doesn't always flash when it should... does anybody have any ideas?
12-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There are a couple of options to reset the camera. Page 280 of the manual explains it: Menu, Setup-3, Reset puts Record Mode, Playback and some Setup menus back to factory settings. Custom Setting 4 resets the custom functions. Some settings like time are maintained. I'm not sure resetting will fix your problem, though. It doesn't touch the Flash Mode settings that you change from the four-way controller Flash button.
Well guess what, factory settings actually fixed it! Thanks for the help!
12-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Lex, you have to spend a lot of time reading that section of the manual. And learning when you want to use that pop-up flash.

The camera's high ISO quality makes flash not necessary in many situations, and at the very least, not the best way to take the shot.

And the LAST thing you want is for the flash to pop up in an auto mode. You always, always, always want to decide on flash when you decide to use it. Never in an auto mode.

If you're interested in learning some basics, the first thing I suggest for now is don't use auto ISO. Set it to MANUAL.

Then, you can learn how to properly use your flash.
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Lex, you have to spend a lot of time reading that section of the manual. And learning when you want to use that pop-up flash.

The camera's high ISO quality makes flash not necessary in many situations, and at the very least, not the best way to take the shot.

And the LAST thing you want is for the flash to pop up in an auto mode. You always, always, always want to decide on flash when you decide to use it. Never in an auto mode.

If you're interested in learning some basics, the first thing I suggest for now is don't use auto ISO. Set it to MANUAL.

Then, you can learn how to properly use your flash.
I agree with Ira wholeheartedly on this one!
The K-x's pop-up is ok for a bit of 'fill flash' (I use a 35mm film can as a diffuser too) but that's about it... Using ISO effectivly means you need flash very rarely...