Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you look at what new photographers tend to like to photograph nature shots and kids sports are right up there at the top of the list. When I first decided to buy my first SLR one of the first things I did was to sit down and think about what I wanted to photograph the most. In my case that was mostly people and animals. Specifically I like to do portraits of people and animals, and a lot of street photography of people and close up nature shots. For me that means I basically need a good portrait lens or two and a good long zoom in the 300-400MM range.

I actually think the kit zooms are a bit limited in terms of what some people will want to do with their cameras. (200MM was just not enough zoom for me and I'm not a pro yet by any means.) From the pics I've seen on here I don't think they are nearly as bad as some people make them out to be. I always figure that probably people said the same of the old MF kit lenses and yet look at how many of them are highly sought after lenses now. Probably in 20 or 40 years you'll have some of these people singing the praises of the very same lenses that they sneer at buying these days!

In any case I can't really afford the really good digital lenses anyway so it's a mute point talking much beyond the kit lenses unless I can go retro and get better glass that way. When I upgrade to a K-x or K-r if the camera has a kit lens that comes with it, fine. I'll try it out, but I'm admittedly an old glass fan. Being able to use cheap, great, old glass is about 1/2 of the reason I have such a thing for Pentax.

I have nothing against the latest digital wonder lens. But if I can get what I want done as well with something that won't cost me megabucks to acquire it? Then I'm all for it, even if it IS a kit lens, or an old MFL. I just feel why spend that much $$$ on one lens when I can buy 2 or 3 for the same amount of money?

It all comes down to what you like and what you can afford I guess...

12-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It all comes down to what you like and what you can afford I guess...
Or what we *think* we can afford. I think I can afford mostly stuff in the US$10-30 range. That means mostly old manual primes, including some absolute bargain gems, as well as the odd AF prize. And even more basic stuff can be rewarding. When blazing-fast speed isn't a requirement, wondrous things can be done with incredibly crisp and cheap longer enlarger lenses on an inexpensive bellows.

But most beginners don't know about the bargain options, nor what kit lenses can and can't do. Experience is needed. "We gain good judgment from experience. We gain experience by making bad judgments." And by the time we gain enough experience for perfect judgment, we're dead. Bother...
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
What should the two lenses be, if not a wide/normal and tele zoom?
They could replace the telephoto with a fast normal prime, such as the DAL 35/2.4. Some people would find the prime more useful for taking pictures of their kids indoors, on account of being faster and having better image quality.

It would also be educational. Your first prime should be free. After that, well.
12-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
They could replace the telephoto with a fast normal prime, such as the DAL 35/2.4. Some people would find the prime more useful for taking pictures of their kids indoors, on account of being faster and having better image quality.

It would also be educational. Your first prime should be free. After that, well.
Problem is big zoom p/s cameras have trained consumers to look for big zooms. I feel sorry for the company that tries to counter market that. One thing I learned in sales is you can educate the customer, but don't do it to the detriment to your sales (learning that years ago surely cost me more than a few sales) When your client comes in looking to move up to an SLR the 2 lens kit is a great closer. for 85+% of the people this will be all they ever need. It's been a couple of decades since an entry level body was marketed with anything other than a zoom. On the other hand I think having the alternate kit for the step up buyer who may not have bought into primes yet is a great idea (ie the kr/352.4 kit that is out there) this is something i don't see from the canikon camp right now, but pentax seems to be giving it a shot.
for almost all pentax owners the Kr would be an upgrade., the only thing i think is missing is a K5 kit with a WR version of the same lens, Though I have many old primes I would buy that kit rather than body only

12-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I was hoping that pentax would do something different and release the K-r with a DA 35 mm kit option instead of sticking to the zoom kits.

And I don't see how this would be a real struggle for pentax to put together. It would just be a new SKU they already have a rainbow array of k-r 18-55, k-r 18-55 & 50-200, and k-r 18-55 & 55-300 so what would be wrong with having a k-r 35 mm priced competitively with the 18-55 single lens kit. It would be most attractive to their existing customers who might have an older body and already have an 18-55 kit lens.

Last edited by mikemike; 12-29-2010 at 07:56 AM.
12-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I was hoping that pentax would do something different and release the K-r with a DA 35 mm kit option instead of sticking to the zoom kits.
they have in Canada don't know about elsewhere. I'll bet the zoom kits outsellit 10 to 1 minimum though
12-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
like this?
12-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Some UK based webshops are also doing this

12-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

The 55-300mm is one of the best lenses in that range with that size and weight.

If I were buying today, I'd like a kit with the 35mm f2.4 and 55-300mm.
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #55
Forum Member

Great thread; I'm certainly enjoying my 55-300 on my new white K-x.
However, I bought oe of the cheap knock-off hoods for my 18-55mm kit lens and it is so loose it falls off; as soon as I lose it I'm going to buy the real thing...
02-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Because it's cheap--- thats why

if you look at two lens kit offerings, yes they all come with telephoto, because it is cheap to do.

It also is comparable in coverage, with 18-50 and 50-300mm lenses, to the P&S or bridge camera that came with a 15-20X zoom starting at roughly 30-300mm (35mm equivelents) or similar.

As people learn, and explore more about photography, many do ideed want to go much much wider, but that is expensive, look at the difference between either a sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24 and the 50-300 in terms of cost.
02-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #57
Pentaxian

The problem really is that the most important part of a camera kit is the lens collection. I have come to learn that bodies come and go, but lenses (or at least Pentax lenses in general) last forever.

However that is not a point that can be appreciated by someone just starting out. I would love to see a kit with, say the 18-135 which is apparently quite respectable for a 'kit lens' and maybe something like the new Da 35mm. So that would mean both a standard zoom and a 'zoom with your feet' prime. I learned a lot after I got into primes.