Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best of both worlds...

I know that i am greedy, but still - is there any way to get long star trails (meaning long bulb exposure) in the city. I want to keep some light sources.
As an example of what i wanted to do -

- only with much longer exposure. This was almost a minute and 1.5 minutes was already too bright.
Can strong neutral density filter help?
Can anything help?
Thank you all very much in advance.

Last edited by fstdslrkx; 12-23-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: No image
12-23-2010, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a way to take long startrail pictures here. Simply take many 90 second (or whatever the proper exposure time is) pictures and then combine all the pictures when you are done. Here is a simple free program that will combine them for you: Startrails application
To keep taking pictures you can buy an intervalometer or you can find some way to hold the shutter down and get it to keep taking pictures but that will limit you to 30 seconds. My K-x doesn't support an intervalometer so that's what I have to do so I made this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/118713-ac...ml#post1227767
One advantage of taking startrail picture like this is you can make time lapse videos out of them.
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this would work, just a random thought but what about using a graduated filter like a Cokin with the dark part down covering the city lights?
12-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure if this would work, just a random thought but what about using a graduated filter like a Cokin with the dark part down covering the city lights?
I would have suggested this too.

As for stacking the images, it works much better on a camera you can turn off dark frame subtraction (noise reduction on long exposures). That means a K10d, K5, and perhaps the K-r. Don't know if any of the pre-K10d cameras can do that.

12-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-x lets me turn off dark frame subtraction up to 30 seconds so I was assuming most cameras let you do that. I guess the answer depends on what camera the op has.
12-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fstdslrkx Quote
I know that i am greedy, but still - is there any way to get long star trails (meaning long bulb exposure) in the city. I want to keep some light sources.
As an example of what i wanted to do -

- only with much longer exposure. This was almost a minute and 1.5 minutes was already too bright.
Can strong neutral density filter help?
Can anything help?
Thank you all very much in advance.
You didn't shoot this image, right?

Based on how you worded your post, I don't think so.
12-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I love this forum!

krp-
QuoteQuote:
There is a way to take long startrail pictures here. Simply take many 90 second (or whatever the proper exposure time is) pictures and then combine all the pictures when you are done.
Thank you. I have a k-5 now (yes an overkill but it is this forum's fault anyway!) so intervalometer is not a problem. Going to try it.
jatrax-
QuoteQuote:
Well,it surely might work. I shot it at f/4 so i had a little space to play with in the beginning - just not enough for sufficiently long star trails even at f/22. It might add just enough, thank you for the tip. Highly doubt that i will find Cokin locally though, and what i will find will cost much much more then via BH, so it will have to wait until i have enough things to order to justify shipment.
JeffJS-
QuoteQuote:
for stacking the images, it works much better on a camera you can turn off dark frame subtraction (noise reduction on long exposures).
Yes, being able to turn it off sure helps.
Ira-
QuoteQuote:
You didn't shoot this image, right?
Actually i did.
Again, thank you guys.

12-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best place I've found for Cokin stuff is eBay. Lots of film "camera outfits" going for next to nothing with a bag full of filters & stuff. I have a good set of Cokin filters that I paid essentially nothing for. Of course there isn't as much use for them with digital, but they are handy in some situations.