Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

Flash Blow out?

When I use a manual lens and the pop up flash on the k-x I almost always get a completely white washed pic. Does someone have a good setting for shooting a manual pentax lens with the pop up flash indoors, or is it just not a good idea?

12-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO 100, a shutterspeed slower than or equal to 1/180s. Read the camera manual about maximum and minimum distances for flash.

My guess is that your camera goes to ISO6400 or something silly like that trying to achieve a normal exposure.
12-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Do you have it set for manual ISO?

It might be doing nutty things if you don't and using a manual lens.

Are you shooting in M or Av?
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

With a manual lens, the flash always fires at full power. The guide number is in the manual for the camera. The guide number for my K10 on board flash is 11 in meters. Here is a short, quick version of what a guide number is and does, and how you use it. The guide number is a measure of how powerful your flash is. The AF540FGZ has a guide number of 54 in meters at ISO 100. If you are metrically challenged, your guide number is 36 in feet at ISO 100. (11 m = 36 ft close enough). I see you are in New York, so I'll use GN 36 in feet for the example.
  1. Make sure that [Using Aperture Ring] is set to [Permitted]. If you don't the lens won't stop down when you release the shutter, and you need to change the aperture to affect the flash effect.
  2. Set the mode dial on the camera to X to select the top shutter speed for flash or M and set any shutter speed lower than 1/180. If you use a shutter speed more than 1/180, one of the shutter curtains will be in the way when the flash goes off, and part of the picture will see no flash.
  3. Change the ISO to 100
  4. Focus on the subject and read the distance off the focus ring scale.
  5. Example: distance = 9 feet. Divide 36 by 9 getting 4.
  6. Set the aperture on the lens to 4

If you cannot get enough flash (not your problem if things are washed out) then you have to change the guide number. The power of a light changes with the square of the distance, so if you change the ISO to 400 (4X) you double the guide number to 72.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

12-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Worked great. thanks