Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll be really checking out the camera today after work. Need to read the manual first though.

12-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

You can* take hand-held pictures in darkness. The quality wont be excellent, but the difference between kit lens may be in getting the shot at all.
12-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Very new to photography. I've always wanted a nice camera and now that I'm working I went in with my parents and bought a K-x. My dad has an old ME with the 1:1.7 50mm lens. Is there any advantage to that vs the normal 18-55 lens that comes with teh K-x?
I have the 50mm f1.7 and it is a better lens at 50mm than the kit lens. That's a given...

But your 18-55 is actually a pretty good lens and relative to other lenses, highly rated. You'll have a hard time finding anything comparable to the 18mm side of the lens that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Stopped down, meaning using something like f5.6 to f11 (aperture) at most of the focal lengths will produce sharp images and good color but that's assuming there's good lighting conditions, which every lens will need to produce the best image. And you should try using the kit lens in Manual mode so you can get accustomed to making quick changes when the lighting changes, plus you'll get to understand where and what all the buttons do on your camera.

The only way the 50 1.7 is going to have any advantage over the 18-55 is if you can produce better images with it...

Good luck & have fun!!!
12-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About old manual zooms: these can be used, of course, but making use of SR would ideally require setting the body's idea of the focal length every time that is changed. On a tripod or with fast enough shutter speeds SR can be turned off, but this limits the utility of old zooms somewhat.

12-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
About old manual zooms: these can be used, of course, but making use of SR would ideally require setting the body's idea of the focal length every time that is changed. On a tripod or with fast enough shutter speeds SR can be turned off, but this limits the utility of old zooms somewhat.
For reliable quality, it's best to turn SR off for manual zooms. On the rare occasion I take my 80-200 f4.5 out, the only way I an ensure high IQ is to turn off SR, bump the ISO, and set very conservative shutter speeds.
12-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those lenses were the "kit" lenses of old. The were quite sharp and are still readily available for reasonable prices. The other advantages of these lenses have been well covered in previous posts. The "fast 50" or 55mm are in most of our camera bags and well worth the investment.
12-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #22

Original Poster
So I put on the 50mm 1:1.7 on my K-x but it doesn't seem to work. It just flashes F--- and I can't seem to set it.
12-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The last item on the custom settings menu controls this and the default setting results in this with M-lenses. [edit: With that you set the aperture from the ring, use M-mode and green button to meter and set a shutter time to match. see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...-k-x-etc.html]

Last edited by jolepp; 12-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
12-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks. It's gonna take some time for me to get used to having to do the settings. I messed around with the camera today, but it was mostly just taking pictures on the auto mode. I plan to read through the guide starting Monday since it's the start of my days off.
12-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I wouldn't consider these prices very little. I've found the 24mm lenses to not be very common on ebay (but around the $150 you mentioned) but the you can find 28/2.8 cheaper especially if you go to the M level (or K or Takumar). And if you want a cheap telephoto pick the M135/3.5 for about $50.

for now however I would recommend (the OP) sticking with the kit lens for everyday shooting and the 50mm for lower light and for practicing with the M level lens. If you like the M level lenses (K and takumar w adapter also work the same) then get a 28mm and a 135mm (as low as $100 combined) since that gives you a range of focal lengths (and excellent IQ).

The only wide angle that has interested me in the bargain category is the zenitar 16mm fisheye for $175(?). Other than that you'll have to spend $400+ for the sigma 10-20, DA 15 or whichever other wide angle you like.

QuoteQuote:
I just checked keh.com

24mm 3.5 is available for 149

28mm 2.8 is available for 119

100mm 4 macro is availble for 133.

Typically ebay prices are a little lower, but keh and bhphoto test their used equipment, so I know more or less what I'm getting.

Go to ebay and search for these items. look also at completed auctions to see how much people have paid for these items. There are so many people on ebay that most items sell for their fair price. Sometimes an item will pass by at a lower price, but that isn't common.
12-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently acquired my own Nifty 50, and it's given me a completely new perspective on using my *ist. That is an awesome lens and you could do a lot worse than to use it for your standard go to lens for a while.

FYI, I just completely dropped my Tamron AF lens in favor of my new 50, the Vivitar 75-300MM I bought with it, and using my old M42's with an adapter. I'm not going back to AF lenses I don't think. I dumped it on my local CL and I'm happy to see it go. Using an AF lens it admittedly annoyed the heck out of me, and that despite the fact that this Tamron is supposed to be a very good lens. Maybe if I had 30 years of photography skills under my belt I'd find it more productive to use one, but as someone who has only been using SLR lenses for a short while I found the whole AF thing completely counter productive to learning photography properly.

I'm not saying that AF lenses are bad for everyone or that they don't come in handy in certain situations, but I don't think they're nearly as great for people who are learning as manual focus primes.

MHO, but I concur with the advice above. I think using the 50 for a while as your main lens is a great idea, at least for a while.
12-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Very new to photography. I've always wanted a nice camera and now that I'm working I went in with my parents and bought a K-x. My dad has an old ME with the 1:1.7 50mm lens. Is there any advantage to that vs the normal 18-55 lens that comes with teh K-x?

Allow a newbie to save you a little time. There are about 12000 settings on these darn cameras and you won't be able to use the manual 1.7 K lens until you find the one that over rides the setting that allows using aperture ring (that is what it is called on the k2000). It literally took me 6 months off and on to figure that one out.

The KA or KAF lenses will work fine.

Last edited by Colbyt; 12-26-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Trying to add sig
12-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Allow a newbie to save you a little time. There are about 12000 settings on these darn cameras and you won't be able to use the manual 1.7 K lens until you find the one that over rides the setting that allows using aperture ring (that is what it is called on the k2000). It literally took me 6 months off and on to figure that one out.

The KA or KAF lenses will work fine.
which one are you talking about?
12-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Custom Menu: Using Aperture Ring: Permitted....leave it that way, and you'll be good to go...
12-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #30

Original Poster
Yeah I couldn't get it working at first lol.