Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
FYI, I just completely dropped my Tamron AF lens in favor of my new 50, the Vivitar 75-300MM I bought with it, and using my old M42's with an adapter. I'm not going back to AF lenses I don't think. I dumped it on my local CL and I'm happy to see it go. Using an AF lens it admittedly annoyed the heck out of me, and that despite the fact that this Tamron is supposed to be a very good lens. Maybe if I had 30 years of photography skills under my belt I'd find it more productive to use one, but as someone who has only been using SLR lenses for a short while I found the whole AF thing completely counter productive to learning photography properly.

I'm not saying that AF lenses are bad for everyone or that they don't come in handy in certain situations, but I don't think they're nearly as great for people who are learning as manual focus primes.
I agree that by "doing", one will learn but don't forget you can use every "AF" lens, including your kit, in Manual mode both in focusing and exposure. So yes, shooting everything in some form of auto mode kinda defeats the purpose of owning a dSLR, but your AF lenses can be used in Full Manual Mode... you should do a test, take a photo in AF mode and then try to make it better in full manual...

This shot with kit lens using manual focus and manual exposure...

Exif Data...

12-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I agree that by "doing", one will learn but don't forget you can use every "AF" lens, including your kit, in Manual mode both in focusing and exposure.
Many (most?) AF lenses are a pain to focus manually because of short focus throw and flimsy feel of the focus ring. The kit lens is fair in this respect, but certainly a mild pain compared to a Pentax K/M/A :-)
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Many (most?) AF lenses are a pain to focus manually because of short focus throw and flimsy feel of the focus ring. The kit lens is fair in this respect, but certainly a mild pain compared to a Pentax K/M/A :-)
True, true, true!!! But focusing accurately with manual lenses is the big challenge for the majority of people trying out k/m/a lenses, practicing on something with very little margin of error can only make you better, plus it gives the user practice on button and wheel use...
12-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Custom Menu: Using Aperture Ring: Permitted....leave it that way, and you'll be good to go...

The factory default on the k2000 is not permitted. I really don't know about the other cameras. The manual is less than terrible about this. One would think they want to sell new lenses.

12-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All the cameras come with that setting off, which is insane! The only reason it exists at all is to bother people who haven't fully digested the manual.
12-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

And because the focusing screen isn't really that good for manual focusing. Anyone who has ever used one of the old manual focus only cameras with a split image screen will know what I'm talking about.

As to the 'all manual' settings photo, just posting it on it's own doesn't mean anything unless we can see how it's better than the auto (or semi-auto) versions, plus how long did it take to get the settings right? Sometimes there just isn't the time to play around.
12-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #37
Veteran Member

At age 60 I am really feeling the pain from that lack of screen quality.

QuoteQuote:
And because the focusing screen isn't really that good for manual focusing. Anyone who has ever used one of the old manual focus only cameras with a split image screen will know what I'm talking about.
Though I never planned on using these old lens daily or forever that lack of quality has been my only disappointment with the camera.

12-27-2010, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
At age 60 I am really feeling the pain from that lack of screen quality.

Though I never planned on using these old lens daily or forever that lack of quality has been my only disappointment with the camera.
The cameras are designed to be used primarily with AF lenses but I did get this from B&H and for me it helps alot. It only magnifies slightly but the eyecup is comfortable and works nicely for me...

Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe Magnifying Eyecup for Pentax Digital SLR
12-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus 1 on the O-ME53! My wife got me one for Christmas and I am amazed at the difference it makes.