Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Storage for multiple lenses

Any suggestions as to a good bag or case to hold multiple lenses. My camera bag only allows for one extra lens. Not enough room so what would be my best purchase for the extra lenses?

12-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are all sorts of bags! I use a holster bag and attach lens cases to it. It's a very flexible set up.
12-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What will be the use for it? Do you hike? Is it for when the lenses are in the house? Is it for quick daytrips? There's hundreds of bags out there and something will meet your needs. But, it's tough to tell if we don't know what your needs are.
12-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

See this:

Camera Bags - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

and recent threads about bags....

12-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

check out my post at Market Place...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/126725-sale-n...ra-bag-us.html
12-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
What will be the use for it? Do you hike? Is it for when the lenses are in the house? Is it for quick daytrips? There's hundreds of bags out there and something will meet your needs. But, it's tough to tell if we don't know what your needs are.
+1
You need to define your needs and how you intend to use your lenses and camera.

For example, I like to travel light. I value a small simple system. I typically carry my K-7 and one (mounted) lens in a small top-loader bag. In a few rare cases, I might have a second small prime lens in my jacket pocket. Full stop.

That means that I keep my lenses in their own bag at home, and I choose myu main lens (and sometimes secondary lens) before I go out. No need to have a large bag not to carry heavy equipment.

Food for thoughts, and I hope that the thread discussions will help you to refine your needs.

Merry Xmas
12-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

After a few bags, progressively larger, I have gone to a Tenba Medium Shootout backpack. Larger enough for two camera systems with lenses attached, plus lots of additional, adjustable room for extra lenses, pockets and zippered pouches for all the other stuff, plus a neat, adjustable tripod carrier. A little heavy, but so well made and padded, I wouldn't worry about it tumbling down the stairs. Shoulder straps and wide belly strap make it secure and comfortable, transferring the weight mostly to your hips. Weight is so well distrubted, it doesn't seem so heavy once mounted.
Tenba is similar to Lowpro in build quality, but considerably cheaper. My Shootout was $180, which seemed like a lot for a camera bag, but since using it, I wish I had made the investment years ago.
I'm a pro who shoots all primes and do some hiking. The few times I've gone out with just a camera and a couple of lenses, I've invarably needed something left at home. The Tenba is the best way I've found to carry everything with me comfortably and safely.
12-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Store-age and carry-age are quite different, especially when more than a dozen lenses are owned (unless they're all tiny old manual glass). Back in the day, I carried an imposingly-huge black shoulder-bag with room for a TLR, a couple SLR bodies and a few lenses, a couple rangefinders, flashes, film, dark bag, etc. And I learned why fotogs frequent chiropractors.

Fast-forward to my acquisition of my first dSLR, the K20D and three lenses and a flash. All fit comfortably (with a mini-laptop) in my large teardrop over-the-shoulder Ameribag, an easily-defensible non-camera-bag-looking container whose purchase was prompted by getting my pocket picked in Guatemala. (I only lost my wallet, not my P&S, WHEW!) I can stroll untroubled down dicey streets with the Ameribag.

But then I started accumulating more lenses, and more, and more... and I have about 155 keepers now. At first I could stuff ~10 into a small Tamrac Expedition 3 backpack that I bought with a batch-lot of camera and lenses. But it was clumsy when changing lenses, and was soon outgrown. So now my lenses are STORED in little shelf-size wooden drawer boxes from Ikea (no longer made, dammit!), and a select subset is CARRIED in that same Ameribag, minus computer.

If you won't gather many lenses, fine. If you want to carry all you own, fine. But what you stash and carry them in depends on where and how nervous and how strong you are, how often and fast you need to change lenses, etc. Many favor courier bags for their anonymity, as I do my Ameribag, into which I can even stuff my tall Velbron 347 tripod. A camera bag tells the world, I CARRY VALUABLES, which is the wrong message in some places. Good luck.

12-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Here is a great website that has pictures and reviews on almost any style bag you might need.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Tim