Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I had an E510, it was a good camera, nice to use but very prone to blowing highlights and the viewfinder wasn't a patch on my K7. Given the small dark viewfinder I feel that using manual focus lenses on it will be a trial, with far more shots out of focus than in. Also the E510 is a 4/3 mount, not a micro 4/3 - AFAIK the two are not interchangeable.

She likes the camera manual? Manual focusing? Manual exposure control?

My own experience of manual focus lenses on my K7 was that with the standard focusing screen it was somewhat hit and miss, as compared to the split image on my old ME Super where they were nearly all in focus.

Any DSLR can give her manual exposure (or semi-manual with Av or Tv), I'd suggest you get something in your price range that's second hand and not overpriced. Then with luck when she knows what she really wants you (or she) can sell it on for not much less than you paid to get the dream camera.
woops, lol, i keep thinking the E line was also micro 4/3, but they're just 4/3, you're right...

12-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The jump from an SP1000, similar to the K1000 of your wifes, to a K10D was relatively easy for me. I liked that camera from the minute I picked it up the first time in the store. It is quite easy to just pick it up and start shooting and there aren't a whole lot of confusing menu screens you are forced to deal with every time you turn it on. She can pretty much turn the dial to M and use it in a similar manner as her K1000. My first couple of weeks, I pretty much used the camera that way or in full auto (green mode) while I slowly learned to use more of the features. It's also a pretty rugged camera and built just as sturdy as the old ones.
12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Loan her yours. Then later she will let you move up to the K 5. LOL
12-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #19

Original Poster
I am pretty much looking at a D10K or a D20K - its just price strech for the '20. I hope to make that one work but either way I am about $350. I thought these took the old lenses without an adapter - looking at the adapters that are posted is looks like they are all for screw type lenses, my old ones are twist and lock. Can someone give me some guidance on the adapters?

with the cost of the camera bodies i wont be buying a new lense for this until after march at least and I would liek to use the lenses I have for the K1000 and ME Super that I have.

thanks for all of your input.

Wally

12-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #20

Original Poster
oops i just saw that I goobered up the names --- K10D and K20D is what I meant -
12-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You don't need an adapter for any K-mount lenses (the twist & lock types) but I found manual focusing a challenge on my K7 as it doesn't have a split image focusing screen that my ME Super has. Also if the lens doesn't have an 'A' setting on the aperture ring that makes using it a little less straightforward. There's a sticky on using pre-AF lenses on the modern AF cameras.
12-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #22

Original Poster
thanks cats - I read the notes setting when using old lenses and appreciate the clarificatiion.
12-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I just wanted to ask about size, and make a shout-out for the K200D. Your wife should make sure she handles a K10D or a K20D before buying. They are notably bigger than the *ist, K100D, K200D, K-7 and K-5, not to mention the k-m, k-x, and k-r which are yet another size smaller.

The K200D has image stabilization and almost all the K10D functions, including weather-sealing. It has the same sensor, actually, with some tweaks to improve high-ISO (and the. jpeg engine) a little bit. It lacks the second dial, though, and has only a pentamirror VF, but is a fine all-round camera with a size and ergonomic quality preferred by some (including seemingly the entire Japanese market!)

Any of the 10MP models will take similar images, so for me the size and ergonomics take on a certain importance.

Good luck!

12-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #24

Original Poster
I just pulled the trigger on the K20D - i went for the better CCD and the couple added features. I dont think the size of the camera will be an issue at all. I have just over a month before I give it to her for her birthday - I hope I can keep it a surprise. total cost was $370.
12-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A K20D is some camera... in fact I have not "upgraded" and prefer it to my K-x, both in terms of handling and image quality.

She is going to have fun with it!
12-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstrine Quote
I just pulled the trigger on the K20D - i went for the better CCD and the couple added features. I dont think the size of the camera will be an issue at all. I have just over a month before I give it to her for her birthday - I hope I can keep it a surprise. total cost was $370.
My wife did this for me and it was awesome. The surprise part went a little awry, because I answered the phone when B&H called to confirm the order.

We tend to think of the K20D as big and heavy because it is compared to some other Pentax DSLRs. But it's pretty comparable to the K1000 - smaller and a little heavier.

I hope she doesn't mind that you called her an old school wife.
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #27

Original Poster
I was wondering if she will start coming on this forum and see her referenced to as "old school". it makes me smile to think about it - but I think she would have a good laugh. I need to make sure I dont spill the beans before her birthday. Thanks for all the advice and outstanding explanations.