Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K20D "This image cannot be filtered" message

Hello, new to the forum even though I've had my camera for about two years.

I have a question in regards to a message I get when applying "on-board" filters to pictures I just took using my camera. The message appears "This image cannot be filtered" which should only appear if i am trying to apply it to pictures on the card that have not been taken with my camera. Currently I am using 1.03 firmware and noticed 1.04 is available.

The problem started when using a new Kingston Class 4 8Gb SD. I have been using a Transcend Class 6 8 Gb card with no problems so I am assuming it has to deal with the information being lost when trying to write it to the new card. Will updating the firmware correct this issue or do I have a bad SD card? I couldn't find any information when I googled it.

The reason I am posting is I tried a firmware upgrade last night but www.pentaximaging.com was experiencing issues with the Windows hyperlink and the firmware I downloaded would not update my camera (older firmware hyperlink?). I have since found another hyperlink but I wanted to get a more experienced opinion on this issue before I update my firmware.

12-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried formatting the card in the camera?
12-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've tried formating the card but still having the same issues. The funny thing is, when I bump down the JPEG quality to three stars I have no issues. Thought it was a class issue until I used a 2GB Standard SD (not HC) which is real slow with writing data but I don't have the same issue. It has me pretty puzzled. I have to wait to get home tonight before I can try the firmware update.
12-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

If the good card is still working good, I suggest doing this to the bad card:

Find your nearest trash can, and throw it in there.

Even if a firmware update DID fix this problem, you're asking for trouble using that card. Forget about losing future photos. That bad card can zap anything you do firmware-wise. And I'm talking about having to send the camera back to Pentax for service.

You're simply writing a file to a card here, and applying the camera's digital filters to that file before it's written to the card shouldn't have any effect on this simple function at all.

DON'T TAKE A CHANCE! BURN THAT CARD!

12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Updated firmware to 1.04 but still a no go. I am going with Ira's suggestion and tossing the new card.

As I understand it, the picture and data is stored on the card before you apply the filter (JPEG mode). Once you open the picture back up you can apply the filter and save a new picture after the filter is applied. There seems to be some data loss with that first picture I take, even though the image is available some pentax data is lost during the write phase.

Card is going in the trash. Any way hope this post might help the next person with similar issues.
12-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

you can't apply a filter to raw (.pef) in the camera. you need to turn it into a .jpg first in the camera. the k10 saves both files I think you need to do this through the Fn button). you can also shoot .pef and .jpg at the same time and apply a filter to the l.jpg copy

hope this helps

randy