Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying of Pentax Camera

Could you please help me. Why can't one buy a Pentax Camara in your Stores like Game etc.?

Where could i buy a Pentax? You get Canon and Nikon full up.

Regards,
Lorraine.:ugh:

12-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your best bet is to shop online - while some stores stock Pentax demo bodies, they're sadly few and far between. You should check locally, though.

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A good question would be "where do you live?". I can recommend a good shop in France but I am not sure this would suit your needs
12-28-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Lorraine, unfortunately Pentax is not popular amongst retailers. If you know what you want, then online is the best and cheapest way to buy.

12-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I stay in S.A. and i don't know where to look.
But why are they not popular at retailers? Is it they are better than other makes or more advanced. Would like to find all this out please.
Thank you all for your help.
12-28-2010, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lorraine58 Quote
I stay in S.A. and i don't know where to look.
But why are they not popular at retailers? Is it they are better than other makes or more advanced. Would like to find all this out please.
Thank you all for your help.

There are a lot of reasons why Pentax does not have a large presence in stores.

First, Pentax sells far fewer cameras than the big two, Nikon and Canon. Retailers like to stock brands that they can sell the most of.

Pentax has not done a great job of supporting traditional retailers. Some have suggested that Pentax had made a conscious decision to go for online and mailorder sales.

The big two, at least, in the US, seem much more willing to extend retail credit to stores. Pentax can't or won't. When the Ritz camera chain, here in the US, went bankrupt, it came out that they owed Nikon $26 million, and Canon $18 million. In today's marketing world, retailers are struggling to compete with low-overhead online sellers. Not having to pay for merchandise until it is sold can be a huge advantage. Pentax requires dealers to pay for merchandise on delivery (to the store, not the customer).

I've heard that Pentax requires a rather high annual commitment from retailers. The amount I've heard is $100,000, which for a third or fourth place brand like Pentax and a small camera shop, is a lot of money.

The big two have been known to pay commissions directly to the salesman, bypassing store management. This is over and above any salary or commission that the store owner might pay the salesman.

Pentax is lousy at advertising and marketing. In the US, there are few print ads for Pentax, and we haven't seen any television advertising in years. I see at least a couple of Nikon and/or Canon TV ads every day.

Given all that, if you were a camera store owner, which brands would you sell?
12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photo First / Fuji 'something' sells the Pentax line; they are part of Teltron, the official Pentax agent in South Africa. Even the smaller photo first outlets (e.g in Cresta/ Randburg) seem to have them (at least I saw a couple of Kx'es there a few months ago).

The other one that you can try is Stax; I haven't checked for a while, but a year ago they had them.

Last edited by sterretje; 12-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.
12-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I would agree with Adam. If you know exactly what you want (body & lens), online stores like www.adorama.com and B&H have excellent prices, and are highly reputed.

For second hand items, consider www.keh.com and www.adorama.com. Both are well respected by Pentaxians.

The main issue is that you must know exactly what you want before your order. If you are undecided between a few cameras, it is best to go the local store to try the camera. The hand feel is important and may change your opinion of a camera.

Good luck in your purchase.

12-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Those excellent prices are less excellent (probably still a bit cheaper) at the moment that you have to add shipping (about $100) as well as VAT and ad valorem tax (20-odd percent total). Camera equipment seems to be free of import duties (in SA) although I'm not 100% sure about that. Not really worth the effort in my opinion and I (personally) prefer to support the local dealers.

By the way,
I'm glad I did not order my K5 overseas as I should have had to ship it back due to the stain problem (on whose costs?).
05-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #10

Hello all South African Pentax owners!
Does anyone have an idea what the K5 body retails for in RSA?
The ony ones I find on line on SA sites all seem to be grey imports.

Thanks,

John
05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I came across these....