Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

RAW / JPEG format

Hi,

It looks like I will create the first thread here !

Here is my question :

I exclusively shoot in RAW, and from times to times, my K200D shoots one image in JPEG.

I know that I did not touch by mystake the "RAW" button.

Over 100 images shot, there might be 2 or 3 JPEG, but sometimes, there are no JPEG on a series of 100 shoots, and sometimes, 1 JPEG alone, 20 RAW, another JPEG, or even 3 JPEG in a row, and 100 RAW after that...

It's very strange. It doesn't seem correlated to lightning off the camera, or to any changes in the shooting conditions...

Has anyone ever seen that ?

12-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I'll try and provide the first answer..

Are you by any chance using Digital Preview followed by a Save on any of these shots? If not, I'm out of ideas other than you may in fact be bumping the RAW button from time to tome.

12-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

That's a tough one. You must be hitting the RAW buttom and not aware of it. Otherwise it may be un elfe de Paris! LOL
12-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it may have to do more with options.

ghe green mode setting on the K7 for example only shoots jpeg regardless of camera setting

also using lens corrections and some other features only shoot jpeg.

12-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't believe that the K200 has a RAW button, so I'm going to go with Lowell's thinking -- wouldn't have thought of that . . .

Scott
12-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
It really seems strange that I would touch the RAW button by mistake. Especially because I changed the parameters so that, when in RAW, touching the RAW button changes the format to...

RAW

But JeffJS said something interesting. I do use the digital preview (and then save the image by clicking on "Fn" button).

And I also do click the green button from times to times to change the aperture and shutter speed (I'm always in full manual mode).

Why did you say that and what is the correlation ?

Thanks again for your help....
12-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I think he meant Green Mode, not the Green Button. Green Mode only will save JPGs. That is, on the K7 (K10, K20, K5).. Don't know which camera you are using. The green button, on those cameras will stop down the lens for exposure in the manual modes and set the appropriate (centered meter). The remaining functions however should be the same as always. That is, you press the green button, take your picture, and the camera saves it however you set it to do so.

12-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
JeffJS : I use the K200D.

So the solution would not be in the green button, but in the digital preview.

I will test this evening, but you think that with the digital preview, the image is saved in JPEG ?
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Luin Gor Quote
JeffJS : I use the K200D.

So the solution would not be in the green button, but in the digital preview.

I will test this evening, but you think that with the digital preview, the image is saved in JPEG ?
According to Page 113 of your manual (English version) the Digital preview is saved as a JPEG when you press the function button. So that's probably it.

Honestly, I find digital preview to be a waste of resource. Since you can easily delete and / or retake the photo if you don't like the previous shot. It might be useful if you are down to the last shots your card will hold and you cannot clear it for some reason. Beyond that, I don't see a lot of value in it. I say that because if you have time to review and Save a photo, you also have time to review and Retake the photo.

12-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Jeff,

You are a real "problem killer" !

This is the solution indeed.

From now on, I give up digital preview.

Thanks !
12-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When I find a JPEG it's because I've hit the raw button by accident, hardly ever happens but it's still very annoying.

Digital preview is pretty useless, but the optical DOF preview you can set that control to instead is extremely useful.
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Glad I could help.

12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #13

I don't use digital preview very much either. I have to remove my glasses to look through the viewfinder so I can't see the preview image clearly without putting my glasses back on. By the time I get them back on, the digital preview has closed. I have the timeout settings at maximum so the result is - I use Live Preview or shoot a test picture while sometimes Optical Preview works too.
03-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #14

I just got my K-5 today and was trying to change the file format to RAW. When following the manual, it tells me to go to (file format) in the (camera Rec. Mode 1) menu and press... The problem is my File Format is not lit up, so I am unable to select it. The only options that are lit are JPEG Recorded Pixels and JPEG Quality.

I also wanted to set my RAW/Fx button but my menu only gives me Rec. Mode 1 & 2A. It does not go all the way up to Rec. Mode 5!

Are these problems related?

Any help I can get would be GREATLY appreciated. If you have a step by step video you can email me at hurleygirlie05@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!
03-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hurleygirlie05 Quote
I just got my K-5 today and was trying to change the file format to RAW. When following the manual, it tells me to go to (file format) in the (camera Rec. Mode 1) menu and press... The problem is my File Format is not lit up, so I am unable to select it. The only options that are lit are JPEG Recorded Pixels and JPEG Quality.

I also wanted to set my RAW/Fx button but my menu only gives me Rec. Mode 1 & 2A. It does not go all the way up to Rec. Mode 5!

Are these problems related?

Any help I can get would be GREATLY appreciated. If you have a step by step video you can email me at hurleygirlie05@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!
Take your camera off of Green Mode (on the dial) and all of your problems will disappear. There are a few other internal menu items that will disable RAW but that is the main one. If you have HDR turned on for instance (which cannot be turned on if you have RAW selected).