Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Not trying to be insulting but, it sounds like the family members with the D90's know how to use their camera better than you know how to use yours. You can get just as good of results as them if you know what you are doing.

When indoors, I wouldn't use a shutter speed of 1/180 unless I wanted my flash to be the only source of light. Since we are talking about the puny pop-up flash, I definitely wouldn't want that to be the only light source. So, I would start with something like 1/50th or so on the shutter (depending on available light, slower or faster from there)

I would probably try ISO 400 or 800 since its likely to be dark indoors. From there, your camera should be able to choose a great power setting for the flash.

If the pictures look okay except the flash is too bright, the use the flash's exposure compensation and lower the flash power a bit. If the other way around, and the room is too bright use exposure compensation (not the flash's EC) to darken it.
I had the same impression that his nephews know what to do to get better result. Did the person using the D90 uses external flash?

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
Well, perhaps... My nephews had their D90's set to Full Automatic...
Using full automatic mode with flash is not the best way to get good results - it depends on a lot of variables. Without any sample photos, it is very hard to tell what could be wrong or improved. However, since the built-in flash has some limitation that external flash can do, I would recommend getting an external flash with swivel head so you can bounce flash.

12-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I had the same impression that his nephews know what to do to get better result. Did the person using the D90 uses external flash?

Using full automatic mode with flash is not the best way to get good results - it depends on a lot of variables. Without any sample photos, it is very hard to tell what could be wrong or improved. However, since the built-in flash has some limitation that external flash can do, I would recommend getting an external flash with swivel head so you can bounce flash.
Seriously guys, this is the Beginners section of the forum.....
My nephews used their Nikons only with Auto and Pop Up flash. We shot family pics in the same room, at similar distances (different angles). I was lead to believe when I upgraded to the K7 that it would perform better in low light and Flash.

As soon as I can come up with $400 or so, I will get an External flash. But for now, just looking for help.
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Seriously guys, this is the Beginners section of the forum.....
My nephews used their Nikons only with Auto and Pop Up flash. We shot family pics in the same room, at similar distances (different angles). I was lead to believe when I upgraded to the K7 that it would perform better in low light and Flash.

As soon as I can come up with $400 or so, I will get an External flash. But for now, just looking for help.
Hi Scott,

OK, how's this?

Link AE to AF set it and leave it there.

P mode

Fixed ISO 100

pop up the flash

Focus and Shoot

if underexposed or overexposed, use Ev compensation

sorry for getting too involved with the minutiae

Scott
12-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I was noticing on Auto (Green) that the ISO was always 800. The room was quite dark, Christmas lights etc) My subjects were 4-5' away at most.
That's pretty high ISO for close range flash use. I bet if you turned your ISO back to 200 or so it would work better.

12-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Scott,

OK, how's this?

Link AE to AF set it and leave it there.

P mode

Fixed ISO 100

pop up the flash

Focus and Shoot

if underexposed or overexposed, use Ev compensation

sorry for getting too involved with the minutiae

Scott
Thanks Scott! That seems to work in our dining room! Can I leave the AE to AF when I'm doing normal outdoor photos?
12-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Scott! That seems to work in our dining room! Can I leave the AE to AF when I'm doing normal outdoor photos?
Yes. What it does is lock the exposure to whatever was read when the camera locked the focus (and allowed you to take the photo). The only time it will really hinder you is if the lighting conditions are rapidly changing. You can also do it manually by pressing that button your thumb rests on, the AE-L button.

By the way, you don't have to spend $400 on a flash. Any flash that you can set to Auto can easily be used and will Far outperform the built in flash (which I personally dislike very much). If you want something newer that does everything full auto, look into the Metz 48 or Metz 50.

12-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Hi Scott,

There aren't too many situations where linking the AE to AF isn't appropriate. Normally you'd want the subject you focus on to be properly exposed, but there are sometimes where this might work against you. Luckily, you can always easily override this setting with the AE-L (Auto Exposure Lock) button.

Here's a scenario where you might want to override --

There's a great sunset and you want to capture the colors of the sky. You want a line of trees 20 feet away to be in focus, but they are backlit by the sky, and you want them to be in silhouette against the spectacular sky.

You know your metering area is linked to your AF point, so if you focus on the trees, the metering would then be set to expose for the much darker trees, and the sky would be overexposed and you'd lose the deep colors. . .

. . . so you aim your AF point at the sky that you want properly exposed and press the AE-L button. An asterisk appears in the lower right corner of your VF showing that the exposure is locked. Now you point to the trees that you want in focus, half press the shutter to focus, and take the shot.

Since you locked the Auto Exposure on the sky, this will be properly exposed, and the trees that you focused on will be underexposed in silhouette -- hopefully just like you planned. . .

Hope that wasn't too confusing. . .

Scott