Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Umbrella Softbox, sizes

I currently have a 43" reflective Brollybox, like this one:

Im very happy with it and the light is really nice and soft.

However, i sometimes feel i want to get in closer to the subject but the umbrella shaft and stand often gets in the way.

So im thinking of getting a Shoot through Brollybox, like this one, wich is avaliable in both 43" and 33".

Now.... the only thing that i cant figure out is the size i need. The other one is 43" wich is fine for the use, as it is used at some distance.
But the shoot through brolly can get really close to the subject. And the shoot through will spread light more around than the reflective one. So im thinking maybe 33" is the best for a shoot through brolly.

So should i stick to the size 43" or go for a 33" on the shoot through???

12-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use white umbrella 60cm/33'' shoot through. Sometime in smaller rooms I need to control the spill light by other means. A large reflector is useful.

As for shoot through, my setup is 1/8 power as main light for portrait, a second umbrella to add fill (or reflector) at 1/16-1/32, also one or two at 1/64 for rim lights. Shoot through allows me to place the light source as close as 1m/2feet at 1/16 power.

For distance, 2 flashes on one stand/umbrella, or if group portrait, 2 umbrellas on 2 stands.

Best regards.

Last edited by hoanpham; 12-29-2010 at 05:00 AM.