Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Please recommend good pose books!

Hi, I live in the UK now and my english is fine, however I always had a problem with description, I just can't describe things well! I am doing my first photoshoot with a real model on the 12th and I was wondering if you could recommend some good pose sourcebooks, the kind you show the model, not the kind for learning, like I would like drawings or sketches rather than pictures. I am certain this exists, can anyone advise? Thanks!

12-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
I am certain this exists, can anyone advise?
They do: (look at Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought section for more stuff on that)

Amazon.com: The Portrait Photographers Posing Guide: How to pose people for portraits (9781419652332): Nigel Holmes: Books
12-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks but this is not really what I am looking for. For example my uncle has a very old book with sketches which he shows his models before painting them. I don't want a tutorial book, I want something that's more like an index of poses - no text.
12-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

this is about the most informative as well as keeping it simple guide Portrait Photography: Secrets of ... - Google Books

If you like to look into the theory why certain images work and others don't (including posing) this is a good book The photographer's eye: composition ... - Google Books

12-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 on The Photographers Eye... Freeman is a legend! his 'Perfect Exposure' is also stunning!

I'd have another look at the Nigel Holmes book... Short but packed full of pose diagrams... A reasonable place to start...
12-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

just found this site hope it has some uses Portrait Photography’s Power Posing Part I: The Components

randy
01-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Portraiture Poses

[URL="http://http://www.photographytips.com/"]

Copy the above URL to your browser and you should find what you want for free.

You will have to print the poses or display them on your PC from which a sitter may suggest a pose.

Note that the sitter is not always the best one to choose the pose which best describes the sitter. It usually takes a good, trained "photographic eye".

People usually have different impressions of how they see themselves vis-à-vis how others see them, or how they best appear. Just observe the make-up, hairdo or dress of some people!

Good luck with your studies and HAPPY NEW YEAR.