Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Is it my camera or my batteries...or me?

I'm not sure if it's my batteries (I hope it is...) or my camera. But, when I put fully charged batteries in my camera, it never shows more than half battery life...never green. And, after just a few shots (20), it shows red! Anybody know what the problem might be?

12-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You don't say what camera or type of batteries. The K-x had a battery-level indicator problem that was fixed in later firmware (I've read), and Eneloops are highly recommended rechargeables.
12-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah...that's probably it! I just got the K-x for Christmas...I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to update the firmware! Lol! Thank you so much!
12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Sara,

It's also possible that you have one or two weak batteries in the group. If the firmware update doesn't improve things, charge all the batteries up and test them with a volt-ohm meter for voltage. If one is weak, it can bring the whole group down. If you don't have access to a meter, take them to a Radio Shack and have them tested -- if there's a bad one, just go out and get some Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids. They are marketed as precharged rechargeables, and they are considerably better than the normal NImh rechargeables for use in DSLRs.

Scott

12-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Get set of Eneloops and and you'll be a happy camper. Should get several hundred shoots per charge with them.

Jason
12-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LIGirl Quote
Ah...that's probably it! I just got the K-x for Christmas...I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to update the firmware! Lol! Thank you so much!
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Get it here.

Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. Do NOT turn off the camera during the update. The entire process should take up to about 3 minutes from the time you turn on the camera.

12-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would make ABSOLUTELY! sure, that the batteries are up to snuff before the firmware upgrade. Pardon the yell.
Best thing you can do is to load up with Energizer Lithium`s, to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2010 at 05:44 PM.
12-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah the NiMH batteries and the meter never are accurate. I found that my Km says red after a full charge. However, it lasts quite a lot of shots before it actually runs out of juice. But Go Eneloop or Rayovac and don't worry.
12-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would make ABSOLUTELY! sure, that the batteries are up to snuff before the firmware upgrade.
Omg...why did you say it like that?! Can something terrible happen? I thought the firmware update sounded like a good idea...
12-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LIGirl Quote
Omg...why did you say it like that?! Can something terrible happen? I thought the firmware update sounded like a good idea...
It is a good idea and yes, something terrible can happen. That's why we Bark it out like that. If your batteries go dead during the update process, you'll be the proud owner of a colorful brick that is not covered under warranty (unless it can be blamed on the camera, which sometimes is the case). Firmware updates are something we all do and 99.9999% if them go without a hitch, as long as we heed the instructions. For the 0.0001% that do not, problems.

12-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another forum I frequent had a guy that just got a K-x. Didn't update the firmware and also made the mistake of not formatting the card in the camera. The end result was the camera powering down mid shot and hosing everything on it, over 200 shots. He ended up getting about half of them back. None of the data recovery programs out there worked, but there was another forum member there that somehow was able to do it.

So I ask, does that firmware update still sound as scary as having that happen?
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Another forum I frequent had a guy that just got a K-x. Didn't update the firmware and also made the mistake of not formatting the card in the camera. The end result was the camera powering down mid shot and hosing everything on it, over 200 shots. He ended up getting about half of them back. None of the data recovery programs out there worked, but there was another forum member there that somehow was able to do it.

So I ask, does that firmware update still sound as scary as having that happen?
At least he didn't fry his firmware.

And I second the above advice:

Buy disposable lithiums to do the update.

---------- Post added 12-30-10 at 06:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It is a good idea and yes, something terrible can happen. That's why we Bark it out like that. If your batteries go dead during the update process, you'll be the proud owner of a colorful brick that is not covered under warranty (unless it can be blamed on the camera, which sometimes is the case). Firmware updates are something we all do and 99.9999% if them go without a hitch, as long as we heed the instructions. For the 0.0001% that do not, problems.

Long Island Girl:

Jeff is explaining this 100% correctly.

It's a nerve-wracking experience, but something you simply have to do.
12-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #13

Eneloop AA batteries have always performed reliably for me for the 3 years I've been using them. Last year I discovered IMEDION brand Ultra Low Discharge 2400 mAh NiMH (made by PowerEX which is made by MAHA - a high quality battery & recharger manufacturer). There's a ton of info about batteries, and about IMEDIONs, at PSS Enterprises - PaulsFinest.com. I've used IMEDIONs in my K200d for 8 months now and they're wonderful. They claim to retain an 85% charge after sitting in a drawer for a full year! There's an article on that website that states these IMEDIONs are an upgrade to Eneloop.

In my experience they're certainly better than Duracell and any other "Walmart" brand. And for heaven's sake stay away from that garbage from China that's sold on eBAY claiming to be 3,000 mAh. When my package arrived I was surprised that each AA battery weighed less than half that of a Duracell. They wouldn't take a charge and they all went into the garbage. I got suckered good.

Anyway, I'm just a reporter... I do not sell the batteries or am I in any way connected to PSS Enterprises - PaulsFinest.com except as a paying customer. I have no problem with either Eneloop or PowerEX or IMEDION. Everything else can remain with the retailer.
12-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
OK...I think I have procrastinated enough about this. (It's making me SO nervous!) I have (finally) a green indicator on my batteries and my SD card is empty. I have a question (maybe two) before I do this though! 1) I used the card right from the package...do I need to format it in camera? 2) It doesn't really say how to do it...do I just connect the camera to the computer and click the download link? I don't have a card reader, so I was going to do this directly to the camera.
Thank you!
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

1) Download the file to your computer.

2) Format the card in your camera.

3) Attach camera to computer.

4) Copy the update file to the card. But don't put the file INSIDE the folder on the card.

5) Eject/disconnect camera from computer.

6) Begin process.

7) Pray.

---------- Post added 12-31-10 at 08:17 AM ----------

If it helps, I'll also do my Bar Mizvah prayer for you, if I can remember it.

I had my reception at Leonard's in Great Neck, so geographically, this prayer may have significance for you.

One more thing:

You're supposed to hold something down when you first power up the camera, but I can't remember what. Make sure you find that out first. I think it's the menu button, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Ira; 12-31-2010 at 08:21 AM.