Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 88
The current kit lenses are great for general photography. The only thing is they do not truly excel at any particular type of photography. The 18-55 and 55-200 combo is like a jack of all trades but master of none. For the price it is truly amazing, but you can't expect to get every single photography you can imagine using just those lenses. And that's where those manual lenses come in!

01-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Thanks for sharing your story. I've been impressed with the performance of the DAL55-300, its way better than a "kit lens" ought to be IMHO.

The optical formula didn't change for the Fast50s for decades from what I can tell, so the addition of AF to the 50/1.4 doesn't change its performance optically merely its utility for older shooters like me

Nice shots with the A zoom.
01-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Yes, the kit lenses do suck. Luckily the da* lenses suck a little less, and the limiteds only suck a little.
01-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I got this lens and did not test it until yesterday: Pentax-A 35-105mm, What a great surprise, and it is so heavy, I can do my weight workout during a photo shoot:

Hee. That's the opposite number of my trusty Canon FD lens of the same specs. I call it 'A Small Stack Of Primes.' It's pretty close to that. I hear the Pentax version is at least as good, and in any event it's a cut above 'kit lens,' strictly-speaking. On a crop sensor it wouldn't be doing the same job, (Got my eye on a Tammie 28-75 for that, but for now I've got a quirky-but- usually-fun fast 28-105 Sigma for the Pentaxes.)

Anyway, the Pentax-A version looks to be the same design overall: they're well-regarded but not too sought-after cause of the range they cover on crop. If it's like the old Canon (said to be an Angeneiux design) it's relatively free of a lot of zoom-lens vices, if pretty chunky for its day. )

I'd say, by the way, that the current kit lenses don't suck, as kit lenses go. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy one, but it's not too bad. (The cheap kit zooms of film days were generally turn-your-nose-up abysmal.) They really aren't getting the most out of what the Pentax DSLRs can do, but they're about the best in the business. Just try and keep em stopped down to around f8 or 11 where feasible, and nearer the middle of the zoom range, and they're pretty nice. The macro's a bit more than a word on a focusing ring, too, which is common these days but was a bit of a pleasant surprise to me.

01-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,434
I took this with a kit lens and a lot of people seem to like it.


I think people just feel limited by the kit lens because there is so much more out there and the reason why you got a DSLR is to explore what is beyond the land of the point and shoots.
01-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hee. That's the opposite number of my trusty Canon FD lens of the same specs. I call it 'A Small Stack Of Primes.' It's pretty close to that. I hear the Pentax version is at least as good, and in any event it's a cut above 'kit lens,' strictly-speaking. On a crop sensor it wouldn't be doing the same job, (Got my eye on a Tammie 28-75 for that, but for now I've got a quirky-but- usually-fun fast 28-105 Sigma for the Pentaxes.)

Anyway, the Pentax-A version looks to be the same design overall: they're well-regarded but not too sought-after cause of the range they cover on crop. If it's like the old Canon (said to be an Angeneiux design) it's relatively free of a lot of zoom-lens vices, if pretty chunky for its day. )

I'd say, by the way, that the current kit lenses don't suck, as kit lenses go. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy one, but it's not too bad. (The cheap kit zooms of film days were generally turn-your-nose-up abysmal.) They really aren't getting the most out of what the Pentax DSLRs can do, but they're about the best in the business. Just try and keep em stopped down to around f8 or 11 where feasible, and nearer the middle of the zoom range, and they're pretty nice. The macro's a bit more than a word on a focusing ring, too, which is common these days but was a bit of a pleasant surprise to me.
One nice thing about the A35-105 f3.5 is it holds it's focus over the entire (normal non macro) zoom range or at least mine does. You're right though, on the crop cameras where people are use to something like the 18-55 kit, this lens doesn't have a huge following from what I can see.

01-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Pepe Guitarra's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,048
Original Poster
Does anyone know when Pentax is going to offer the full frame camera? Or is there one already?
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Does anyone know when Pentax is going to offer the full frame camera? Or is there one already?

All kinds of them on ebay. Just buy some film as the sensors in them are a little flaky and tend not to record anything . Seriously though, I'm one of the people betting against Pentax ever doing a FF dSLR.



01-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,462
Nice post, Pepe! Your experience somewhat mirrors my own regarding kit lenses. My 'kit lens' is a Quantaray 28-90 AF zoom that was sold to me with the camera. Within a month I acquired an M50 1.7, and a 28mm 2.8 and used those manual primes exclusively for a month or so. Besides the improved IQ, they taught me the aperture/shutter/iso relationship more quickly than if I'd stuck with my AF zoom. After a time, I'd nearly forgotten how to use my AF lens! Well, I do use it more often now, and can appreciate what it can do after cutting my teeth on the old MF primes.

Paul
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Pepe Guitarra's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,048
Original Poster
Pentax-M 50mm f1.7

Here is a pic with my Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 iso200 - s:1/60:
Attached Images
 
01-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Pepe Guitarra's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,048
Original Poster
Kit lens

Here is another one with my Pentax DAL 55-200mm - ISO 1600 Shutter Speed Priority: 1/800:
Attached Images
 
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Pepe Guitarra's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,048
Original Poster
Pentax-M 40mm f2.8

This one is with my SMC Pentax-M 40mm f2.8
Attached Images
 
01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 360
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice post, Pepe! Your experience somewhat mirrors my own regarding kit lenses. My 'kit lens' is a Quantaray 28-90 AF zoom that was sold to me with the camera. Within a month I acquired an M50 1.7, and a 28mm 2.8 and used those manual primes exclusively for a month or so. Besides the improved IQ, they taught me the aperture/shutter/iso relationship more quickly than if I'd stuck with my AF zoom. After a time, I'd nearly forgotten how to use my AF lens! Well, I do use it more often now, and can appreciate what it can do after cutting my teeth on the old MF primes.

Paul
what exactly does AF have to do with aperture shutter and ISO? i'm just curious.
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,462
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
what exactly does AF have to do with aperture shutter and ISO? i'm just curious.
OK, maybe I should have compared an 'auto' lens (one that communicates with the camera) against a 'manual' lens (one that doesn't). Of course someone can learn the basics using a full auto lens, but I'm lazy. If I'm presented with a challenging shot (weird lighting or other conditions), I'm likely to fall back on green mode, or semi-auto mode. By limiting myself to only manual mode, and forcing myself to deal with the exposure setting on each & every shot, I think I picked up on the basics more quickly than if I hadn't. YMMV.

Paul
01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
Kit lenses don't suck, as far as I've seen, it's up to the user to make the most out of it I guess.
I've been taking cool photos with the kit lens and though they would never, ever match up to the sharpness primes can bring, they can still make helluva nice photos. I checked the Pentax gallery for photos where the DA 3.5-5.6 kit lens was used and I have to admit I don't know how 90% of those awesome shots were taken (but they did!) with it!

and above all - Pentax delivered the best kit lenses I've worked with.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advise, camera, cult, image, kit, kit lenses, lens, lenses, m-lenses, parties, pentax, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What 2 lenses to replace kit lenses ? dales Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 06-05-2009 09:10 PM
What 2 lenses to replace kit lenses ? dales Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-05-2009 08:59 PM
I still suck xecutech Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 21 02-22-2009 08:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: K100D, 2 Kit Lenses, Filter Kit, Book, & DVD Tutorial DaveInPA Sold Items 7 01-30-2009 02:40 AM
For Sale - Sold: SF1 Kit, ME w/50, 250/SL, K AF Lenses, M42 Lenses 247nino Sold Items 5 05-07-2008 04:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top