Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Kit lenses don't suck, as far as I've seen, it's up to the user to make the most out of it I guess.
I've been taking cool photos with the kit lens and though they would never, ever match up to the sharpness primes can bring, they can still make helluva nice photos. I checked the Pentax gallery for photos where the DA 3.5-5.6 kit lens was used and I have to admit I don't know how 90% of those awesome shots were taken (but they did!) with it!

and above all - Pentax delivered the best kit lenses I've worked with.

kit lens is one of the few that will get you down to 18mm... and one of the few (cheap ass zoom) that have a semi close minimum focus distance, try it, it actually can produce bokeh, i can't do that with my 50mm prime.

01-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shhhh!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I got this lens and did not test it until yesterday: Pentax-A 35-105mm, What a great surprise, and it is so heavy, I can do my weight workout during a photo shoot:
I see you've found one of the hidden treasures of the pentax line up. The 35-105 is one of my favorite lenses. Besides what JeffS has pointed out about it being in constant focus, the lens has a "macro" function (read close focus) throughout its entire zoom range, which is also rather rare. But my favorite character of this lens is it's wonderful color rendition. Most lenses can't quite capture the deep russet color of the grasses in this shot.

Here are a couple of other lenses to look for
Pentax A 70-210 F4.0---sharp and excellent bokeh for an old zoom

Pentax K 135mm F2.5----sharp sharp sharp, and relatively small for a f2.5 lens.

NaCl(welcome to the wonderfilled world of old pentax lenses)H2O
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

When I bought my GX-10 a few years ago I was at first pleasantly surprised with the performance of the 18-55 kit lens. I still think it's one of the best of all kit lenses available.

But, as one does, I got drawn towards alternative glass (and with an upgrade to a GX20) went for the 16-45 DA. Now I find this to be my general-use lens and the kit lens lays idle waiting for the time when I dispose of the GX10.

My point, I think we all start with a 'base' setup and as funds/ability/experience improve, graduate to better quality as a matter of course.
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
Pentaxian

There is nothing wrong at all with the Pentax 18-55 kit lens other than it's a little slow for some low light work. The IQ is very good and most reviewers have rated it the best kit lens out there. I also own one of the old kit lenses from the film days, the F 35-70 macro and the IQ on that lens is superb also. Again, it's rather slow but sharp as a tack. My original kit lens, the 55/2 SMC Takumar that came with my SP1000 is a lens I will never part with.

01-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

the Kit is a good starter lens, all it was really ever meant to be. It gives you an inexpensive way to learn. If you expect the performance that a good lens gives you will be disappointed. I've seen many good pictures taken with the kit lens, and many bad ones taken with some legendary lenses like the Leica Summicron 50 1.2.
that being said though almost all the really good pictures i've seen with a kit lens quite likely would have been improved in one area or another if a superior (and more expensive) lens was used. None of the bad Summicron pics would have been better with a kit lens though.
Keep the kit at f8 or so and shoot around 35mm and it really can shine
open it up and shoot at 55 and it pretty much sucks, but will still give you a result when you have nothing else to work with (buy a cheap m series 55 f 2 and shoot it at the same 5.6 and it will blow the kit out of the water for minimal investment,
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Pepe

what you have learned is that in a value for money trade off, kit lenses have their place.

can you spend more to get better lenses, sure, can you buy new, any other lens and get equal quality at the cost of a kit lens, I don't think so.

Like everything else, kit lenses have their place in the pecking order of lenses.

I am glad you like your M series, personally I like the K and Tak lenses better, but that does not mean the M series are bad. It is a feel thing more than anything else.

You have also learned there is a place for auto everything and manual. Well done.
01-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax-M 28mm f3.5

This is another example of the Pentax-M lenses.
Attached Images