Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
Great

Uh, also what about neutral density filters? To protect the front, instead of a UV filter.
It seems uv-filters are the cheapest quality filters so they are good for protection; although their uv-filtering capability is not really needed, it should not do any harm either. I have been using the Hoya HMC UV(C)/UV(0)s as protection filters and the IQ loss is not worth mentioning IMO. These are relatively cheap, yet have multicoating which should eliminate flaring from which uncoated filters may suffer in some circumstances. (With Hoya filters "HMC" stands for multicoating: there are cheaper Hoya filters lacking that). As for the IQ loss with the Hoya HMC UV(C)/UV(0), I'm sure there is some, but it would probably take lab measurements for it to be evident.

12-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great

Uh, also what about neutral density filters? To protect the front, instead of a UV filter.
If money is really limited I wouldn't worry about filters at all. For one the kit lens isn't worth that much to replace IF you do damage it. And two a lens hood offers better protection. And will improve your pictures more. And you can pick up the generic rubber hood for around $5.

A ND4 or ND8 filter is good if you want to take cool waterfall pictures but otherwise have a limited usage. A CPL is good to have but you're looking at spending more on a high quality one than the lenses you otherwise want. imo it's a later investment.

I would concentrate on things you need and the cost will add up quickly
Rubber lens hood
Eneloops or other rechargeable battery
small camera case to protect your camera
at a minimum a short tripod - I got a $13 tripod to get started before buying something nicer. But I'll only use it with 1 or 2 of the extensions extended. It's definitely not good but it's light and compact and at least gives me an option.

there are probably a lot of other little things that are worthwhile to buy before getting into filters but I have to run. One of the first lenses I would look at would be an M50 f2 (or comparable) that costs 20 dollars. It's really cheap, pretty good quality, increases your low light capability and will allow you to try out manual lenses to see if you like them. And then you can add other manual lenses (around 50 dollars) when you have the money.
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #33

Original Poster
Thanks, okay, hood is the number one thing to buy. Already have a mini tripod & normal (basic but half decent) tripod. Gorillapod would be nice too. Since it's the K-r not the K-x, it came with their rechargeable battery and charger Have a case too, but it's too big so I plan to get another when I find a cheap but good one. I do want to save money where possible. I also need to get lens cleaning supplies that don't drive me crazy.

So far I am really happy I found out about the K-r and K-x. I believe I'll like it more than the Canon T2i (which I tested for a couple weeks, I didn't do very much with it, however. I was trying not to get attached!)
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for lens cleaning a rubber bulb blower is the first line of defense (also works on the inevitable dust bunnies on the sensor). The Giotto rocket blower seems very popular and inexpensive. Another popular choice seems to be the Lenspen. Personally I favor microfiber cloths (3M, or these from Ebay) and Eclipse (only a few drops at a time are needed so a small bottle goes a long way), I suppose pure (99%) rubbing alcohol (isopropanol, 2-propanol) would also be good (and very inexpensive).

12-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #35

Original Poster
Giottos are funny looking. Great reviews, I plan to get one. Oh! I planned to buy the Lenspen last time, but forgot all about it.
12-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks, okay, hood is the number one thing to buy. Already have a mini tripod & normal (basic but half decent) tripod. Gorillapod would be nice too. Since it's the K-r not the K-x, it came with their rechargeable battery and charger Have a case too, but it's too big so I plan to get another when I find a cheap but good one. I do want to save money where possible. I also need to get lens cleaning supplies that don't drive me crazy.

So far I am really happy I found out about the K-r and K-x. I believe I'll like it more than the Canon T2i (which I tested for a couple weeks, I didn't do very much with it, however. I was trying not to get attached!)
There are some URLs somewhere here to replica Pentax hoods cheap from Ebay and the like - $10 or so - they reverse for storage (at least the original does!).

However I would still get a UV filter. Of course it affects the image quality, but I bet if you take some shots with and without it that most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference - and the lens hood will help with the most likely scenario of seeing the difference which is when you have lens flare. Yes, you can get kit lenses for not a lot but it's still more than a UV filter. Also for my camera the biggest barrier to great images isn't the camera, it's me.

I clean my UV filter with the cloth that came with my glasses, if it gets really bad I would take it off and wash it under the warm tap with a tiny touch of washing up liquid, then dry on a clean teatowel to make sure there are no water marks, and then clean with the glasses cloth before refitting so there are no fibres left on it. You don't need a fantastic high-value UV filter, a fairly basic one will do.

Do you have a spare set of batteries? Do you have a spare memory card, or is the existing card more than big enough for a day's shooting?

How much too big is the camera bag? Some time in the future you will have another lens (or lots of them if you follow some of the advice here!), you might have filters, spare batteries, memory card, paper manual, and so on to fill it with. If you can live with it, do.

Question: is your camera insured? Your home insurance might well cover it, but check, and make sure you know when it isn't insured - for example if you leave it in the passenger compartment of a car. There is a sad story somewhere about a chap whose kit was nicked from a probably unlocked car while he was at his grandad's funeral. It's not insured, he has takem quite a hit.
12-31-2010, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #37

Original Poster
I found my other camera bag, which is the size I want, not the best but good for now Ordered a hood. Ordering a 2nd battery. Have good memory cards. K-r won't take a shutter release cord like I was hoping. So the IR remote will only cost me $5-$10 (as everyone says the knockoffs work just as well).

And will order some kind of lens pen. The Nikon brand seem to get much better reviews and cost only $10. But there may be a kit that is better for me to buy. And probably squeeze bulb cleaner.
01-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

keep, the kit lens go down to 18mm, that's hard press trying to buy another lens that's wider than that and won't cost you more than the k-x body lol.