Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Super Program Rewinding Problem

I've just shot my second roll with a Super Program, equipped with a battery-grip winder. Both times, when I've come to the end of the roll and rewound the film, I open the back and find, to my dismay, that the last couple of inches of film have not wound back into the canister.

It's as if the film won't let go from the spool at the end of the rewinding process; the rewind lever, on the other hand, behaves as if it has completed the rewinding, tricking me into opening the back of the camera, only to discover the now-ruined couple of inches of film.

The first time this happened I managed to push the film back into the canister; the second time, I was able to get the remainder of the film into the canister by resuming turning of the rewind lever. I have several film SLRs and this is the first time I've ever had a problem rewinding film. Has anybody else had this problem, or know how it could be remedied?

12-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it's only the 2-inches at the tail of the film that's not a problem, you'll have no picture there. The SP starts the meter only after you shot a couple, exactly to move you off the end of the film...
12-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the page of the ME II Winder manual that covers rewinding. It implies that the motor doesn't rewind the film completely.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_winder_meii/body09.jpg

I don't know, I've never seen one of these winders in person. The Super Program had a different winder too, capable of a higher FPS.
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

You are not pulling up on the rewind lever, causing it to disengage from the roll, before it is rewound all the way. This would make it free-wheel and give a false indication of a completed rewound?.

Only time I ever had a problem with film not releasing from the take up spool was if I loaded it incorrectly in the first place.
When that happened, it was easy to tell by the lever jamming up.
Your Winder ME II should not be causing the problem, as long as the film release lever is functioning correctly and releasing the take-up mechanism.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.
12-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You are not pulling up on the rewind lever, causing it to disengage from the roll, before it is rewound all the way. This would make it free-wheel and give a false indication of a completed rewound?.

Only time I ever had a problem with film not releasing from the take up spool was if I loaded it incorrectly in the first place.
When that happened, it was easy to tell by the lever jamming up.
Your Winder ME II should not be causing the problem, as long as the film release lever is functioning correctly and releasing the take-up mechanism.
I don't think I'm pulling up on the rewind lever. I wind with the lever pressed down, and after I wind a while it suddenly loses tension, as it should at the end of the roll. Maybe I'm not loading the film properly, sticking the leader too far into the empty spindle so that it doesn't come free as it should when the rewinding is completed?

Next roll I think I'll take the MEII winder off and instead of using the release lever on the winder, rewind while pressing the button on the bottom of the camera the old-fashioned way and see if this makes any difference.
12-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huck Finn Quote
If it's only the 2-inches at the tail of the film that's not a problem, you'll have no picture there. The SP starts the meter only after you shot a couple, exactly to move you off the end of the film...
Well, I did lose a couple of pictures on that first roll--but maybe because I inadvertently pulled some film out of the cartridge while trying to push it back in. With this second roll, I did manage to crank the remainder into the cartridge, though, without pulling any out, and so maybe this time around I won't lose any shots. Thanks for the reassurance!
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Only thing I can think of, is that the film is breaking loose from the spool in the canister, not sure how that is possible how ever.
Maybe the leader is sticking enough in the take-up to cause this.
Then again, you mentioned that you managed to crank in the film with the last roll.

Oh boy, I have not shot film in a looong time.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-30-2010 at 06:30 PM.
01-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Only thing I can think of, is that the film is breaking loose from the spool in the canister, not sure how that is possible how ever.
Maybe the leader is sticking enough in the take-up to cause this.
Then again, you mentioned that you managed to crank in the film with the last roll.

Oh boy, I have not shot film in a looong time.
Yes, with the last roll I was able to crank the film all the way into the canister (after opening the back and seeing the couple of inches remaining to be wound).

The good news is that that last roll of film came out very well, with only one shot lost to the exposure.

01-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If the film is not detaching from the rewind roll. The rewind crank is not disengaging from the said roll and the film is not getting stuck in the take-up spool. The only thing left is a malfunctioning rewind crank assembly.
Maybe the shaft is slipping or something? I am running out of ideas.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
Report on the third roll: Had some difficulty this time loading the film, getting it to catch in the spindle, but finally got it loaded, shot the roll, and the rewinding went smoothly. I suspect that the problem with the first two loadings was that I was threading the film too deeply into the spindle, so that the film, when rewound, didn't release readily. At any rate, I just loaded my fourth roll, this time trying not to push the tip of the film so deep into the spindle, and had no trouble loading it.

I conclude that the fault was not the camera's or the winder's--just my lack of experience in loading film into this particular camera.
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Clad to hear that it is working out, enjoy your film adventures.