Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #16

put a wig on one of your guy friends and maybe some lipstick

12-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm actually in a similar position to the OP, as I may consider seeking out models to practice with when I get back to school for the spring. Have you considered using Model Mayhem? I don't know much about it at all, but heard about it and decided to check it out. Anyone here have a good experience with them?

Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers - ModelMayhem

And I like the ad idea, the 3rd one looks pretty good, if not somewhat cheesy. Good luck with your model search.
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Why on earth do you want to limit yourself to girls aged 18-25? To me it comes over like it might be a sneaky way of being on the pull. OK you can shoot your male friends, but open your poster to everyone.

There are fantastic faces in all ages, and on men as well. Now at your college you probably will get mostly young people, but maybe there are some people on the staff who would make good models?

It's good you mentioned it's all clothed though I'd prefer to see the reference to 'glamour' removed as that means semi-nude, at least in the UK.

BTW for Facebook people will need a digital version, I have no idea what the size requirements for Facebook are, and if I was doing FB portraits I'd put my website URL on the photo.
12-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, here's another version, is this better? I followed everyone's advice in this one. I think it looks very classy. Kind of like these magazines women like to read.

PosterNewEdited | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

12-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Much better... Less is more...
12-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So this is good then? I decided not to put my phone number because there's alway weirdos who use that to do pranks and stuff.
12-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
So this is good then? I decided not to put my phone number because there's alway weirdos who use that to do pranks and stuff.
I think it will serve its purpose... Make sure you have them in the right places... It's a marketing exercise... Try the High Street stores (they'll probably say no..) but deffo hit the smaller independent cloths shops/boutiques...

Hit your Uni hard as thats were your based... Get some cards printed and be brave (and professional) about approaching possible subjects (read: beautiful random people)... Let them know from the outset that you are a student, don't blow your own trumpet too much... Be cool and be honest...

As I said... Fashion and Textile students are probably worth reaching out too...

Hair stylists... Community colleges (Beauty Therapy students may do your models make- up for their own portfolios?)

Hope it helps

12-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
God this is going to be awkward!
12-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

God this is going to be awkward!
Only if you are mate :-p
12-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Only if you are mate :-p
Asking store I mean!
12-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I would go further and say that both genders of all ages 18 and over are welcome, and no experience is necessary.

Remember in the UK and you plan using the images in any way you need to get your subjects to sign a model release.

Model Release Forms
12-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Asking store I mean!
Should be fairly simple... "Scuse me, I'm a student photographer and I'm looking for beautiful people to take pictures of... Any chance you could display this for me please?"
If they say yes... Say "Thank you" If they say no... "OK no problem... Cheers for your time"

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Remember in the UK and you plan using the images in any way you need to get your subjects to sign a model release.
+1 Cats five
12-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I know, I have really long model release all ready and a property release too. I was not sure whether it is compulsory to attach a picture of the model with the release though?
12-30-2010, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was young and single (decades ago), I would walk up to girls on the street and say, "You have great t*ts! Can I take pictures of them?"

It didn't work 99 times out of a 100, but all you need is one.

However, glamour/beauty is not only not necessarily the most profitable area of photography, for many (like me), it's the least interesting. Ever have a conversation with an 18-year-old who wants to be a model?

As well said above, human portraiture involves all types and ages, and THAT'S interesting stuff! A 90-year-old dock worker is a hell of a lot more interesting than a teenage girl who keeps asking, "Does this dress make my ass look fat?"
12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
A 90-year-old dock worker is a hell of a lot more interesting than a teenage girl who keeps asking, "Does this dress make my ass look fat?"
Aggreed!
To be honest... I try and avoid conversation with girls under 23... Its just not worth it!!