Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

K lens on a KR mount

Okay before I start I would like to appologize for my ignorance in the science of photography. I have a pentax K-r dslr, and I would like to know two things.

I have a 2x Teleconverter that attaches to the camera via a km attachment, and it connects to the lens via a KR mount.

1) can I use this teleconverter with my pentax K-r camera body?

2) can I connect a standard KA lens to the KR mount of the teleconverter?

I appreciate the information!\

12-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The mount of the KR is 'KAF2' this will fit any pentax lens (k,M,A,F,FA,DA,DA-L,DA*) third party lenses using the 'K mount' and m42 lenses with an adaptor...

There are others such as PKA but honestly... I'm not sure what if any differences PKA has to Kmount, KAF, KAF2 blah blah blah...

Which 2x teleconvertor are you in possession of?
If it fits on the body of your KR then it should work... You may lose some or all automatic features of the lens you hook up to it... It will if I'm correct also halve the aperture... making f4 slower... ie: f8
12-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
to be honest, I don't know what kind of teleconverter it is. One one side all it says is pentax for k\m and on the other side it says KR. Those markings and made in Japan are the only markings on the entire thing.
12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you reading the labels on the converter or the caps? I think the R in "KR" might stand for Ricoh, who used the K mount for their cameras and lenses. Everything was fine until Ricoh came up with a variation for the Ricoh Program cameras and lenses. Later Pentax came op with screwdrive AF. These Ricoh lenses had a pin which might drop into the screwdrive hole and semipermanently attach a $5 teleconverter to your shiny new DSLR. It makes you feel pretty bad until you get the thing back off. So although I have never seen a TC with the pin, I feel like I should mention it. If the TC's camera mount looks like this:

you're fine. It will work like an M lens - green button, stop-down metering, that sort of thing. See the sticky at the top of the thread list for details. If there are electrical contacts, especially a pin like shown on the right side of this photo:

then use caution. It gets tricky because the contacts closer to the lens locking pin slot, at the top of the photos, are useful KA-mount contacts. A TC might have 7 contacts here, grouped together. Those make the TC pretty useful. A contact by itself, further to the right and possibly larger, is a potential problem. A lot of these contacts go on and off without getting stuck. I've used the lens pictured here for years without problems. But as I say, you don't feel great when you've got a cheap useless lens stuck on your new camera.

12-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, the mount on my tc looks like the first picture you posted, so I think I will be fine. I really appreciate all the information. Thank you just1moredave the pictures really helped clear this up for me.