Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The file may be Truncated or incomplete

I just returned from a photo shoot for a client and when I went to open the files I get this on about 1/3 of the pictures.
Blue Bar reads "PhotoShop CS5 Extended"
This file maybe damaged (the file maybe truncated or incomplete) Continue?
OK or Cancel are the choices.
.jpg and Raw files are both messed up.

I contacted Adobe and they can't open them either saying it must be a problem with my Pentax K10, I can open the .jpg files with Roxio Photo Suite and once saved I can open them in PhotoShop CS5, but the Raw files are still corrupt. What is the problem?

12-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Problem with the formatting of the card. It happened to me too.

I reformatted and it worked fine, but I still don't trust it.

Did you format your card, and do you format it each time you plan to clean it of images? That's why I do:

Once the images are on the computer, I never use the "delete images" function of the camera. I always reformat it.
12-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Probably the card, but could also be the camera or card reader. First thing I'd do is make sure you have those good jpegs extracted (photoshop is picky about what it will open, but many other imaging programs will open damaged jpegs - then they can be saved out, as you noted). Then try a different card reader. If the problem remains with a different reader, you can try a data recovery software like recuva or convar pc inspector to see if you can get the raw files off the card.
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Reformated the cards in the camera, first test shots I took showed the same problem, hoping it is not the camera, will continue testing and report back.

12-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

You said you were able to open them in another program, save them, then open them in CS5. Have you tried viewing them on a regular browser like Windows Explorer? Do they display on the Camera screen?

12-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
They look good on the camera screen and the thumbnails look OK in the file saved to the computer, no problem until you try to open them in Photoshop, then you get the message, I have opened them in Roxio and Picasa both open them easily, when saved in either program they will then open in Photoshop. Adobe says other programs aren't as fussy as PhotoShop. Therefore they can work with them????
12-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm afraid I'm probably not going to be much help here. For $600 I would expect photoshop to not only open my files (that are not corrupted) but open a can of Hormel Chili, heat it up, and serve it. I'm only in trial mode but can you post an original file (non modded out of camera) and I'll see if I can open it in CS5? or Email it to ebay@rolleiman.com..

12-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Often if there is file damage it will show up as an artifact that looks like a horizontal line, or the file may render to the point of damage and then stop. The image may appear shifted at this line but not necessarily. Photoshop will not open these files. If you inspect the images and do not see any problems like this, the damage may be in the embedded thumbnail or the exif data, rather than the image portion of the file.

12-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would definitely try a new SD card and see what happens - they do go bad eventually.
01-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
Reformatting the card evidentially helped, and opening and saving the files in Picasa or Roxio saved the files. Will buy new card, BUT will also format the old cards more often.
01-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Throw out the problem cards, or only use them when it doesn't matter.

A simple and common thing like ESD, electrostatic discharge, will crap out your card. And that can happen just by you touching the metal contacts, or NOT touching the contacts, but you have a charge built up on you and it arcs from your touching of the plastic to the metal contacts.

ESD destroys billions of dollars of equipment a year, but people think it's not something to be concerned with.

I always discharge the charge build-up in my body before touching my cards, by simply touching something metal before handling them.

If you're interested in seeing my ESD primer, PM me and I'll send.