Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cjbroadwell Quote
A lot of information... I appreciate it all. I believe I will just play with the kit lens for a few days.... Set up the tripod and see the scope of it. Then I will decide what I absolutely MUST have. Is there somewhere/somehow I can get critiques of my work here?
This is a good plan. After you've taken a number of shots, there is software available that can analyze the folder(s) you save them in and tell you which focal lengths were used most often. I'll find the link and post it.

This forum has both a 'photo critique' section and a 'post your photos' section. For specific feedback, you'll get the most constructive comments in the 'photo critique' section.

Welcome, and happy shooting!

12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

A lot of information... I appreciate it all. I believe I will just play with the kit lens for a few days.... Set up the tripod and see the scope of it. Then I will decide what I absolutely MUST have. Is there somewhere/somehow I can get critiques of my work here?
I feel it will take more than 'a few days' to decide what your next lens needs to be. My suggestion is to not buy another lens until you are sure the kit lens is the limiting factor, not your understanding of the camera / post processing. While you feel overwhelemed you are not going to make the right choice for you. At the very least you need to be able to define what you mean by 'artistic range', and if you could you would probably be able to ask advice about a lens to do whatever that definition is.

This thread gives you some places to see what people are doing with the kit lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/99590-there-pentax...s-gallery.html

You can find critiques from Pentax folks here:
Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com

If you want critiques that are not specifically from Pentaxians, there is a Flickr group you might find useful - lurk at first to see what goes on there:

Flickr: Photography Critique
12-31-2010, 04:53 AM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Caution and patience is a good thing. Don't get caught up in the lens popularity trap. I plunged in too hard and too fast and before I knew it I had spent almost five thousand dollars on lenses – many of which I wish I had not bought and have since sold at a loss.
12-31-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

One newbie to another, I have to agree that this is your best choice of action.

Your final choices should be based on the photos you like to take, not what is on sale or sounds good.

Personally I am leaning toward a 55 or 35mm fixed length lens as fast as my wallet can afford. But then low, and natural light has always been my thing.

12-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Tothe OP... Which end of the kit lens do shoot with more? 18mm end or 55mm end?

'Artistic' for me means wide vistas... Or candid portraits with lots of space that take in a particular scene and envoke thought...

For others 'Artistic' could mean a still-life of a vase of flower and heavy on the bokeh...

From your first post its not actually clear if you know what you're wanting to shoot?
12-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi cjbroadwell,

The problem with suggestions from other users is they will be biased towards how they see the world and want to photograph it. On most Pentax fora, wide shooters predominate because Pentax tends to draw them with their small primes. The fact that your had chosen a superzoom as a previous camera tends to point to someone who wants to shoot at the long end, at least sometimes.

In my experience, people tend towards two types in their photographic vision. Those that see the world in vistas --- and tend to shoot wide, and those that seem to always try to pick out details from the vista, and tend to shoot tele and macro. There are, of course those that see both ways, but these tend to be fewer and farther between.

I think that the suggestion to use the freeware program ExposurePlot to quantify your FL use is a good one. . . but use it with your FZ7 shots to give you a better perspective of what FL equivalents you have preferred in the past when you had a very wide range of FL to choose from -- this will show your natural inclinations in choosing FL to shoot, and could be a good guide to what you'll want in a lens to augment your kit lens.

Scott
12-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #22

This discussion has been very helpful me, as another relatively new k-x owner trying to decide on which direction to go with my own next lens purchase--thanks to all!
12-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #23

Original Poster
I agree.... You all have helped a great deal!

12-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I am letting myself get overwhelmed with making the right choice for purchasing my first lens for my kx. I have the kit lens but want something with more artistic range without breaking the bank. The tamron 28-75 and 55-300 have both been suggested and am fairly certain I have narrowed it down to these. I just don't know which will serve better with exploring the capabilities of my camera. I want to do some low light shooting, interior and outside as well as landscape. Help?

Cjb
I admit I haven't read the postings, but I have a 17-70mm and the zoom range works great for 90% of the time (street, landscape, indoor sports, portraits) the only thing I would like more is it was a bit faster at 70mm when I shoot the kids indoor volleyball.
It can also shoot as close as the the subject can get until you run out of light due to the shadow of the lens
good luck

randy
12-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

my advice..for what its worth.

focus on one lens at a time rather than thinking you need to buy two right NOW....

this way you can spend more on a quality lens rather than spreading your money across two mediocre lens.

once purchased...leave lens decision behind you for a while and just enjoy the quality lens that you have, and choose subject matter that the lens will allow...that also makes you think more creatively IMHO..

ive purchased two lens before the one that Im happy with...a sigam 18-125, Pentax 16-45.....I now have a sigma 17-50 OS ...and love it ...super sharp..super quick HSM.....expensive yes...but ill love it still, long after My K5 is just another old junk body.....

save...buy once and don't look back..
12-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you are using Window$, use ExposurePlot to analyze which focal lengths you are using the most.

ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)
Thanks for the link. I just found out that the majority of my shots recently have been at...........18mm. And yet I have 4 Fast50s? I'll have to rethink the mix and see if 1 or 2 of them might make room for a wider lens like a 10-24?
12-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #27

Original Poster
I use a Mac and aperture 3..... how can I find this type of program to safely use?
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #28

Original Poster
I checked some of my folders in Aperture 3 and it seems my focal lengths are all over the place....from around 18 up to 55...with my F7 they ranged from 36 up to over 400....it really depended upon the situation and what I was trying to capture. I suppose I am one of those who loves all ranges of fl....guess I will have to save pennies, concentrate on one then the other type of lens. I don't want to buy those lenses I will be unhappy with in the long run. I so enjoy the vistas...then I love getting the detail of the small portions of the vistas as well. Ah well....I always knew I was a bit strange!
12-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #29

Original Poster
I found a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro Lens for Pentax for $195...ex cond. From looking at the prices it seems to be pretty fair. Am I wrong?
12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I found a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Macro Lens for Pentax for $195...ex cond. From looking at the prices it seems to be pretty fair. Am I wrong?
For the next 1.5 hours you can get the lens - BNIB from Amazon - for $289 and then get $100 back from Tamron making a brand new, 6 year warranty, 18-200 cost $189.

Amazon.com: Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.