Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x e-dial!

Hmm..so my K-x's e-dial seems to be giving me the jitters. Whenever I turn the dial towards the right, which should stop down the aperture or fasten the shutter speed etc., it does random things i.e it decreases, then increases, then increases, then decreases, then increases...you get the idea. Same thing vice-versa too. Also, I have to, like, turn the dial 10 times to either side to stop down one aperture of increase/decrease the shutter speed by one stop.
Anyone's got any solutions, I am all ears.

12-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What mode are you shooting in?
12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
i mainly shoot in Av. But this problem persists in any mode I choose
12-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

This doesn't sound good.

01-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-r developed the same fault after about a month of use. I got it repaired under warranty and apparently a circuit board was changed (at least that's what I was told).
01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely a warranty issue (if it is still covered) or a professional repair issue. Like Ovim your camera probably needs an electrical fix, something I would not feel comfortable doing myself.
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Or, if the camera is no longer under warranty, you could try using an electrical contact cleaner. Get the good stuff that doesn't leave any residue. Here in the States its availabe from stores like Radio Shack or electrical supply places. Spray it into the e-dial area from the bottom (camera upside down) then work the dial rapidly back and forth. Oh, yeah, remove the battery before doing this.

Good luck!
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

amidtb994,
I have a very similar issue on a istds.
It works properly however, if the EV error is within plus or minus 3.0 (in the viewfinder, on the far right). So problem does not often occur. I wonder if its a firmware issue, not a mechanical switch problem.

If the wheel is clicked to the left so that the exposure error increases to more than 3.0 and starts to flash, then it gets the jitters. Problem is worse if spot metering is selected

The problem clears in M mode when the manual exposure button is again pressed to bring the exposure error back to 0.0.

01-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't use the contact cleaner currently available at Radio Shack. Such cleaners used to have a chlorofluorocarbon formulation that is now not legal. Current contact cleaner may damage plastic. The only safe cleaner would be Asahiklin 225 available from Micro-tools.com. It is not cheap and probably won't solve the problem, but at least it won't mess up the surface of the body.
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Forget about Radio Shak. That place has sucked for years. Get some of this.

Blue Shower Contact Cleaner

if you're going to spray contact cleaner in your camera. Personally I wouldn't do it though, I would just have it fixed.

01-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my *ist DS. I read somewhere that you can use an electrical contact cleaner (blower type without liquid propellants) to remove the dust that causes the problem.
04-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
Quick Update: I dont have those contact cleaners, but I tried a lens cleaner solutions that one gets cheaply, sprayed on the e-dail and turned it round, wiped it dry.

Eureka! It worked. E-dial going fine now!