Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Correct Exposure with a K-x...

I was wondering about using settings on another camera, and then moving the settings to the K-x. What I mean is, does the Pentax K-x have a tendency to not be as sensitive to light as other cameras? I can use particular aperture, ISO, shutter settings on a camera, but when I move those settings to the Pentax K-x, under the same conditions, the picture (in manual) appears way too underexposed.
Is the K-x known for this problem? Thanks!

12-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Kx and a friend has a K200 and we did a controlled test because we were curious to see if we noticed a difference in IQ, and the Kx was a bit dimmer than the K200 but definitely not something I would call too underexposed.

In general I like to shoot my Kx at about +0.3 or even +0.5 so maybe the Kx does tend to underexpose more so than other cameras, but again the difference from the K200 to my Kx was negligible. There may be other factors that you are not considering that made the Kx underexpose as compared to the other camera. What other camera was it by the way, that might help solving the problem?

**Welcome fellow Bay Resident.
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Have never shot with a Kx, however, all Pentax bodies in default configuration tend to expose by 1/3-stop. It's by design to preserve detail in highlights.

The difference seen between your Kx and your friend's K200D can be attributed to differences in their sensors (design and age). Also, had your friend followed the common practice of applying a +.03 EV compensation? Some folks set it and leave it, forgetting allow for it when they are comparing apples to oranges.
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
In general I like to shoot my Kx at about +0.3 or even +0.5 so maybe the Kx does tend to underexpose more so than other cameras
I find +0.3 is usually bang on with my K-x too... If I shoot the whole day like this I need very little PP and it makes life in LightRoom much easier as I can process the whole lot in one go... Then go to he pub!