Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I bought an external flash - Need suggestions on resources

Evening,

I just bought a Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1 for my pentax k-x & I am finding books that support Canon and Nikon users who use external flashes, but not Pentax. I am frustrated to say the least...

Could anyone out here recommend any books for learning about using external flashes and the basics about light? I have barely experimented and I'm a wee lost.

Thanks so much!

michelle

12-30-2010, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strobist
Great site for beginner and intermediate user.
12-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks so much! I've bookmarked this site.
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If you are into DIY to save money this might be a good place to look. A diffuser helps make the flash so "harsh"
I have a sigma flash and I don't use it much as I prefer natural light so I can't help to much on how to use a flash properly

good luck

randy

12-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Make sure you go through the lighting 101 and 201 lessons at the strobist site.
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Metz 50 AF-1& K20D Wireless Flash

I'm heading over to go thru the lessons on flash but was wanting if someone might know I would be able to set the Metz 50AF-1 off the hot shoe without cables or anything with the K20D. I've read the manual and set some setting, but don't seem to be getting any where.
12-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

With the flash mounted on the camera you could try ISO=100, mode=M, shutter speed=1/180s and f=8 as a starting point. [edit: oops, misread the question ...]

Last edited by jolepp; 01-01-2011 at 04:34 AM.
12-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I'm heading over to go thru the lessons on flash but was wanting if someone might know I would be able to set the Metz 50AF-1 off the hot shoe without cables or anything with the K20D. I've read the manual and set some setting, but don't seem to be getting any where.
Absolutely, i have the Metz 48 and trigger it off the hot shoe. With the flash, you need to set the flash to "slave". see your flash manual or download it from the website.

Then with the Fn button on the back of the K20, click on it and then click on the bottom of the direction wheel. That accesses the flash adjustments. You want to set the flash option to "wireless" which means optical wireless.

You can also set the onboard flash in the custom manual to be the master without using it as a flash also, or you can set it so that its the master and also acts as a flash.

please note that the flash options which are accessed by the Fn button vary depending on which exposure mode you are in. The Metz flash detects an external flash by a window on its right side. Don't obscure than window with you hand if you are holding it. I've been able to trigger it as much as 10 feet away and slightly in a doorway out of sight, your mileage may vary.

best wishes,

12-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Absolutely, i have the Metz 48 and trigger it off the hot shoe. With the flash, you need to set the flash to "slave". see your flash manual or download it from the website.

Then with the Fn button on the back of the K20, click on it and then click on the bottom of the direction wheel. That accesses the flash adjustments. You want to set the flash option to "wireless" which means optical wireless.

You can also set the onboard flash in the custom manual to be the master without using it as a flash also, or you can set it so that its the master and also acts as a flash.

please note that the flash options which are accessed by the Fn button vary depending on which exposure mode you are in. The Metz flash detects an external flash by a window on its right side. Don't obscure than window with you hand if you are holding it. I've been able to trigger it as much as 10 feet away and slightly in a doorway out of sight, your mileage may vary.

best wishes,
Thanks.. That works great. I had my hand over it and that was keeping it from it working.. Newb mistake.
01-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mekitties Quote
I am finding books that support Canon and Nikon users who use external flashes, but not Pentax. I am frustrated to say the least...
It doesn't matter what brand the books/articles are written for, it's still the same information. Fill light, bouncing, diffusing, indoor flash, outdoor flash, off-camera flash etc uses exactly the same techniques for any camera. The only information you'll need which will specifically relate to your camera model is located in your manual.
01-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, that's good to know.
01-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Neil Van Niekerk's page also has a lot of good info on using an external flash unit: http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/.
01-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think it was probably a lot simpler to learn back before they automated the darned things so much.
01-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I think it was probably a lot simpler to learn back before they automated the darned things so much.
I feel the same way--there's too much overkill.

Today's modern flashes do everything but shampoo your hair.
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just came across this youtube vid, which does a pretty good job of explaining shutter and flash synchronisation:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvZ6VujbhjM[/YT]