Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Strap needed for my K-7 when wearing a suit!

I need a discrete strap, preferably without any logos which looks good, is tough and that I can wear with a suit to replace the strap that comes with the K-7. Please advise? In case this matters I am not very tall (1m72)

12-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just turn your strap inside out, its plain black on the other side
12-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Naaah, what about Domke? Anyone heard of them?
12-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my wife and I have this strap. I have a K10 with the extra battery body and it gets heavy after a while. this one is very comfortable making the camera seem a lot lighter and the bonus is that it can unhook quickly if you want to use a tripod etc.
It also has to pockets on the strap for extra memory cards LOWEPRO VOYAGER C CAMERA STRAP - Henry's best camera store in Canada

good luck

randy

12-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Check out Souldier:

Souldier Straps

I got one for christmas. I got one with one of the designs but you can get them plain and I think the 1" strap would be great for you in one of the plain colors. its made from a material similar to that of a seatbelt.
12-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Student,

A lot of pros like the UpStrap -- pretty discreet, super high quality, and totally nonslip -- more function over form. The RF is the narrowest, but you might prefer something wider. . . Maybe a little pricey, but if it's the last strap you buy. . . I'm sure you know how that goes. . .

SMALL BLACK PAD BLACK WEB PLASTIC SLIDERS: UPstrap

Scott
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I like Lowepro Speedsters: they're fairly narrow and grippy, (lots of rubber thread on the back side) Particularly good for light cameras and dressy clothes (A combination which sometimes means things want to slip off my shoulder. Well, with one of my nice jackets, anyway ) but OK in my book with full-sized pro film rigs with modest-sized lenses on there.

(No padding, here, but they're just wide enough they don't get painful: the rubber thread isn't much, but it beats a stock strap with a little bit of fake suede any day. My baseline's a Canon F-1N with the smaller winder and an old 85mm: that's fairly hefty. The same rig with the big old zoom I call 'Small Stack of Primes' means that camera wears neoprene, though. I'd probably figure it'd be just fine for like a K-7 with most lenses, certainly with no grip on there. )

Anyway, they're pretty businesslike: just black with dark grey edges. They're a favorite for second-bodies with me, and usually still easily-obtainable on Ebay.... (checking) Oooh. Big sale! I can use another of those... *snag*

Can't beat the price right now, that's for sure. Six bucks? Forget about it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
I looked at all these options and I think I would prefer something like the BlackRapids but without the plastic. I don't trust plastic, I want metal. I like the idea of screwing the strap also.

01-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

See if you can use my idea:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/123015-ultimate-strap.html

The more I use it, the better I like it. I use the strap that comes with the Op/Tech Sling Trap Adapter as is (just snapping the two ends together). It is designed to use with an Op/Tech strap, of which I have a few. But I found that clumsy and too long for me (I'm 5'6").

If I'm wearing a suit, I'll wear the strap under the jacket and use the "hand strap.". If I need to take a break from taking photos, I'll hook up the camera to the strap, very discreet IMHO.
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
Tough stuff is more important than discrete. I don't want any plastic parts, only metal. Plastic makes me paranoid. I need a strap with no plastic parts and metal parts but not as to damage the camera.

Last edited by Student; 01-07-2011 at 09:38 PM.
01-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I make my own camera straps from 1" nylon web, 1" buckles (yes, plastic, but they are strong), a couple of stainless steel rings, and I cover the rings with electrical heat shrink.

the finished strap costs less then 10 bucks, it is long enough to wear the camera across my body, the strap is strong, clean looking (ie logo free), cheap, and easy to make.

The strap works well under a jacket, as it slides easily across clothing.

You can find the SS rings at a fishing store, the webbing and buckles come from a camping/outdoors store, and the shrink wrap from a hardware store.

If I get motovated, or if anyone wants to see the setup, I can post a picture.
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well I'm in a university accomodation, I can not really build stuff
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this one by OpTech. They also have narrower straps. But they have plastic buckles so I guess they'd be no good for you. However I've been using this particular strap for over 5years and the buckles snap as crisp now as when the strap was brand new, 3 camera bodies ago. In fact I wish a buckle had failed, it would have saved me a lot of angst and a hefty repair bill when it got caught in the slats of a bench and snatched my camera out of my hands.

NaCl(plastic is pretty tough these days)H2O
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Well I'm in a university accomodation, I can not really build stuff
Tools required:

Scissors, Bic lighter, Machinist's Lath.

You can get away with just two of the above.
01-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Tools required:

Scissors, Bic lighter, Machinist's Lath.

You can get away with just two of the above.
Can't! Fire alarm!