Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

No status bar in Kx viewfinder.

I have a 3 week old Kx that suddenly stopped showing the status bar in the viewfinder. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. I am hoping the dealer will replace the body.

12-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you mean by status bar? The bottom, that indicates everything?

Maybe there's a setting that you hit and turned it off.
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
It is the info window in the viewfinder that is below the image. The dealer found that it can be shut off by cycling through pressing the info button but on mine the viewfinder information was totally dead so they gave me a new body. That solved the problem. For anyone else, if the information bar in the viewfinder is totally dead the body has to be replaced. Had great service from the Lens & Shutter store in Victoria, BC.
12-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

And they knew it could be turned off, via the Info Button?

Did focus confirmation work, or was that dead too?

12-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Apparently, though it is not in the manual, the viewfinder can be turned off by cycling through the info button menu. Why anyone would want to is a puzzle. In mine, everything in the viewfinder was dead including the focus confirmation. The focus confirmation beeped though. Guess I just got a dude body. With electronics, if something is going to fail it usually occurs in the first 100 hours of use. I hope my new body will make it though the break-in period.
12-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Bonjour,
Dans le KX la barre d'info en BAS du viseur ne PEUT pas etre ETEINTE (je vous confirme bien la panne de votre KX la)

Ce qui peut ETRE ETEINT, c'est le LCD par de multiples appuis sur votre bouton "INFO", mais cela ne concerne bien que l'ECRAN LCD du dos de votre KX et PAS le Viseur.

Ps le viseur peut, par contre s'eteindre au bout de 10 ou 20 ou 30 sec etc...suivant le reglage de temps d'AF que vous avez choisi.

Et vous pouvez aussi SAUVER l'etat du bouton INFO dans les parametres de sauvegarde, juste a cocher la bonne options dans cette rubrique.

Bien Cordialement, Jpette
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlesyk Quote
Apparently, though it is not in the manual, the viewfinder can be turned off by cycling through the info button menu. Why anyone would want to is a puzzle. In mine, everything in the viewfinder was dead including the focus confirmation. The focus confirmation beeped though. Guess I just got a dude body. With electronics, if something is going to fail it usually occurs in the first 100 hours of use. I hope my new body will make it though the break-in period.
Slightly off topic, but I could provide a reason why you would want the LCD off. If you are doing long exposure shots in almost pitch black, and you're trying to compose your images, the LCD light forces your eyes to change exposure. It's troublesome to wait for your eyes to readjust to the darkness because the LCD is on.

01-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlesyk Quote
I wish you're right and that I can actually turn off the viewfinder info using (info) button.... but I don't think it's true. Why would I want this? When I know that my exposure setting is already correct, I dont want to look at it, I just want to focus on picture taking.

Anyway best of luck with the new camera
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
Slightly off topic, but I could provide a reason why you would want the LCD off. If you are doing long exposure shots in almost pitch black, and you're trying to compose your images, the LCD light forces your eyes to change exposure. It's troublesome to wait for your eyes to readjust to the darkness because the LCD is on.
Good point. I didn't think of night photos. Thanks.
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

rlesyk: Oui oui, c'est une panne (comme je vous l'ai ecrit deja ci dessus), ne cherchez pas dans les menus de votre kx.
La panne peut etre: Une deconnection du cable qui alimente les dels de cet afficheur qui ne sont plus bien connectes sur la carte mere du KX (car c'est tres rare que physiquement) ce type de composant s'abime.
Cordialement
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured it would probably be something like that. With it under warranty I didn't want to fool with it. Good to look into though if it happens some time in the future when it is off warranty. Regards
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Interesting issue. I sent my K-x back because the VF data line was so dim it couldn't be read in sunlight. I assumed it was a design flaw, but now I'm no wondering if it was on the way to failing? If so, I wish now I had gotten a replacement instead of a refund because the K-x is, as dpreview said, "...a little cracker." I wasn't overwhelmed by the 18-55 AL, however, so I'm thinking of getting another K-x plus the DA-40 for a top notch economical street machine,
Brian
01-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
You may be right. Both the body that had the VF that died and my new body both have very readable finders. It may be a manufacturing or component fault. Glad my dealer offered to immediately replace the body. Ron
01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #14

Yes you CAN turn off the viewfinder by using the 'INFO' button. I just tried it, and it works.
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

wordslinger, are you turning off the entire VF using INFO, or just the data line?
Brian