Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Why are there so many wedding photographers?

Is this the best paid area in photograhy? Or why are there so many of them?

01-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because people foolishly keep getting married?

A Bar Mitzvah I can understand, but a wedding is just plain stupid.

And no-- not the best paid. Just the most steady source of income.
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm wondering when Divorce photographers will become commonplace.
01-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I'm wondering when Divorce photographers will become commonplace.
I think people refer to them as private eyes...:-)

01-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
because it's easy money... you can do a bad job and most likely they won't hire you again, but if you do a good job most likely they still won't hire you again lol.

I've seen some really bad wedding photographers who doesn't know jack, just grab the camera and start shooting and it comes out like crap... but hey, all they need is the pay... and for the most part 1 person's expectation isn't the same as the next, for someone who always been using P&S, most DSLR under low light wedding situation will give them something they like, however the people on here who's been using DSLR will expect the pictures to be on a different level as far as composition and unique ideas ect...
01-01-2011, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the easiest way into professional photography. Anyone with an entry level SLR with a kit zoom and a shoe mount flash can be a wedding photographer.
Now by the same token, anyone with a hockey stick can be a brain surgeon, there is a difference between what a person calls themselves and what a person can do with some level of competence.
Wedding photography is often viewed as easy money, and it is, providing you don't care who you are ripping off.
01-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weddings are frequent. Weddings always need a photographer. Weddings cost money. When choosing between a photographer who charges $$$ and $$, quite a few will choose the cheaper option and opt to live with that quality/have little appreciation ability to see the difference so for the latter it is a good option.

01-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've never seen a cheap wedding photographer. In fact I have never seen one who did anything under 500 GBP.
01-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never seen a cheap wedding photographer. In fact I have never seen one who did anything under 500 GBP.
Cheap is a relative term. Think how much the expensive ones cost....
01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hints: Do not shoot weddings for cow-orkers. ESPECIALLY never shoot a wedding for someone you work FOR. If you suck at wedding photography but insist on doing it anyway 'cause you're greedy, use an assumed name and keep a PO Box and a Gmail.com address. If you note a 'pro' wedding fotog with an unlikely name, a PO Box and a Gmail.com address, you can assume that they suck. If you note someone shooting weddings of cow-orkers or bosses for money, you can assume that they are a fool. These are hard-learnt lessons.
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Hints: Do not shoot weddings for cow-orkers. ESPECIALLY never shoot a wedding for someone you work FOR. If you suck at wedding photography but insist on doing it anyway 'cause you're greedy, use an assumed name and keep a PO Box and a Gmail.com address. If you note a 'pro' wedding fotog with an unlikely name, a PO Box and a Gmail.com address, you can assume that they suck. If you note someone shooting weddings of cow-orkers or bosses for money, you can assume that they are a fool. These are hard-learnt lessons.
yeah, doing stuff for friends/co worker for money is a huge trap, never do it, i don't even sell stuff to people I know, simply because there's a chance for trouble down the road (even if it's 1% chance i'm not taking it).
01-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"Hi my name is Johnny, I'm a wedding photographer and I want cash. Rings of fire? Is that a Leica lens? No, I hate music."

Last edited by Student; 01-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.