Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 hangs while viewing images

My K7 did something strange today while playing back images on the camera's own screen. It seemed to get to a certain part of the SD card then the screen went to coloured noise and the camera had to be reset by removing the battery. It happened several times, and always seemed to be in the same are of the contents of the SD card. I've never seen this before. I suspect it may be related to the fact that the card is a 32GB Class 10 card and now I have used 18GB for the first time. However, it plays the last new images OK. The glitch may be (guessing) on the 16GB boundary?

Has anyone had issues using 32GB SD cards, or Class 10 cards?

---------- Post added 03-01-11 at 12:43 AM ----------

I've copied all the images and video off the card successfully so the camera is writing to it OK. I'm just worried why the camera is suddenly crashing like this!

01-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I just had that happen to me and it was the SD card. I think I yanked it out previously from the computer too soon and caused the error. My camera could not later find the certain place in the directory and simple burped up an error message. I've checked the SD on my computer later and evacuated the images and returned the SD to the camera to FORMAT it. Seems fine now.
01-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I just had that happen to me and it was the SD card. I think I yanked it out previously from the computer too soon and caused the error. My camera could not later find the certain place in the directory and simple burped up an error message. I've checked the SD on my computer later and evacuated the images and returned the SD to the camera to FORMAT it. Seems fine now.
Thanks! I'll try to use up the remaining space and format it when I get home. Hm. Probably wiser to change cards now and not risk losing images. Coming back will be expensive.
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks! I'll try to use up the remaining space and format it when I get home. Hm. Probably wiser to change cards now and not risk losing images. Coming back will be expensive.
Wise choice..

01-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Wise choice..
Thanks Jeff! It's a bummer because there's a lot of space I haven't used on that SD card and the other cards I have are only 8GB! Shooting HD video chews a LOT of space.
01-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I take it you're too far from a computer with a reader to be able to transfer stuff off of the questionable card to the other ones. Perhaps you can go to an electronics/computer store and 'try' one of their computers? 8Gb is good for about 15min HD video (Highest quality 1536x1024) IIRC on the K7. If it'll help you plan things, I've attached the spec from the manual on video times.

Attached Images

01-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I take it you're too far from a computer with a reader to be able to transfer stuff off of the questionable card to the other ones. Perhaps you can go to an electronics/computer store and 'try' one of their computers? 8Gb is good for about 15min HD video (Highest quality 1536x1024) IIRC on the K7. If it'll help you plan things, I've attached the spec from the manual on video times.
Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff! I've got five days left in my trip, and I don't think I'll take a huge amount of video... except maybe of the snow monkeys. I have a notebook PC with me but I'm being paranoid - I want to keep copies on SD until I get home. Having said that, I'll consider your suggestion!
01-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I've reformatted the card but I got a memory card error today. I might try the new firmware and see if SDXC support makes any difference. The card claims to be SDHC but class 10, and I thought that class 10 was SDXC.

01-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

First things first: reformat the card and be confident that the card works. Do not update the firmware until you are definitely confident that the card works.

Second, I would start with your card:
- reformat the card;
- if you have a card errror, switch off the camera; take out the card; check the card contacts; re-insert the card; (I had a couple of car error message because the card was not well inserted or the contacts were dirty)
- if this does not work, use a another card.

Do the firmware update only with a good card. If the firmware update hangs up (eg because of card error), you could have to send the camera to factory for repairs.
01-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
First things first: reformat the card and be confident that the card works. Do not update the firmware until you are definitely confident that the card works.
I recorded at least 6GB of images and video on it in Japan.

QuoteQuote:
Second, I would start with your card:
- reformat the card;
- if you have a card errror, switch off the camera; take out the card; check the card contacts; re-insert the card; (I had a couple of car error message because the card was not well inserted or the contacts were dirty)
Yep, did this and it worked again, but it's the only card which has misbehaved in the camera.

QuoteQuote:
Do the firmware update only with a good card. If the firmware update hangs up (eg because of card error), you could have to send the camera to factory for repairs.
Oh, absolutely. I'll be using a Sandisk SD card for the firmware update. I have several Sandisk 8GB cards, but this ADATA card is the only 32GB card I have, and it's handy for shooting HD video without changing cards frequently. Thanks for the suggestions!
01-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Since I never take videos with my K7 I see no need to use big GB cards. I prefer to use many small cards rather than one big one. The reason is simple. One small card lost, stolen or malfunctioning and you only lose small amount of data, one big GB card lost and you lose everything. I number my cards with a white felt marker so I can keep track.

I had a camera stolen. (in South Africa) It had about 1 GB pics of a 2GB card in it; I lost those but the other 10 x 2GB cards were safely stored away with lots of pictures on it. You can replace the camera but not the "memory".

Also, in case you need to write your data to CD on the go, it is easier from 2GB cards than, say 32GB ones. So for me many small cards make more sense and unlike in the old film days this media is swapped in and out quickly.

With small cards you only lose some with big everything.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I ran into a similar problem yesterday. Shooting video. Got a temp warning and stopped the video (series of 30sec clips). Went to review and got that static screens (greys then greens). It kind of hung there with the indicator light on after I turned the k7 off. Did not think about taking out the battery, though I should have because when I unpacked the camera a few hrs later, it was frightfully warm. YIKES.

Cooled down, swapped out the battery and downloaded the card contents (16gb transcend Class 10). On the computer, the last vid clip was corrupted & wouldn't play back. Formatted the card and all seems OK....I hope.

Good to read the thread. If this happens again, I'll make sure to pull the battery.