Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Another Question K200d

right, been reading the manual on selecting the metering method. Which is best to use, multi segment, center weighted or spot?

01-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always used multi segment metering with my K200 and like the results. Guess I need to play around with the other 2 sometime.
01-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It highly depends on the scene.

I light subject against a dark background will be heavily over exposed when using multi-segment. And a dark subject against a light subject will be under exposed. For those two I would use spot metering. For both these examples you can use multi-segment and compensate for the 'expected' incorrect exposure; that is where your ev compensation comes in.

Other shots like landscape will probably be taken best in multi-segment.
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use multi-segment along with ev compensation, like sterretje mentions.

The other modes work well in the right situations but I'm an idiot so when I use them I always ruin several subsequent shots by forgetting to switch it back to multi-segment afterwards.

01-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
... but I'm an idiot so when I use them I always ruin several subsequent shots by forgetting to switch it back to multi-segment afterwards.
Sounds soooooo familiar. How often do I not quickly pickup a camera for a shot, focus and fully press the shutter to hear the familiar beep of the 2 second delay
01-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Holding down the button, only one shot, confused... Then remembering I needed catch-in-focus for something yesterday.

First 20 minutes of a cruise around Milford Sound. Spot-exposed.
01-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My *ist DS was set to center-weighted a lot. When I used older lenses (without a KA mount) the camera would switch to center-weighted automatically. I found that it was easier to have one metering method all the time. Center-weighted is what my film camera used, and I think its behavior is easy to predict.

Spot-metering is accurate and completely predictable, but you don't usually need that much control. It works best with M mode, because the meter by design ignores most of the scene, which you might have to adjust for. It requires some practice to use well. I avoided it because it was less predictable with a split-prism focus screen, which I had.

Multi-segment metering is always thinking, which isn't always good. I like the 77-segment metering (K-7 and K-5) better than the 16-segment. It works best in automatic modes, with P-TTL flash, etc. Sometimes you just need automatic. The system takes readings from each segment and tries to figure out the best metering from there. It's harder to predict what the meter will react to.

There is no "best" mode; otherwise the camera would only have one option. Each mode has its uses. I like to be familiar with each mode in case I need to use it.
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

center weighted = Most of the time. Landscape shots, always.

spot = Hardly ever.

Multi segment = Maybe some indoor action shots but very rarely. Get away from it. Do you really want to be a better photographer?
Learn how to meter the dark areas of your photos using Av mode and your AE-L button.