Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Photography books or websites?

Any good photography books/websites I should look into? I've never had a SLR and I just picked up a K-x. I've only really shot in Auto, though I have messed around some with longer exposures, but nothing really too in depth. I'd like to find a tutorial book/site or just something with tips at least. Also with some information of PP, as I am lost using the Pentax software. I can post some sample shots if it'd be necessary.

01-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Books: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Even better, see if there is somone locally who teaches photography and take their basic course. This will be better than just reading a book. Also you will understand the book better.

For a beginner, for PP get Photoshop Elements and add onOne PhotoEssentials software to it. Very easy wizards to get your photos looking better. At least for a beginner.
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have Photoshop cs5, can I get onOne for that?
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes.

But for Photoshop users vs Photoshop Elements the software is different I think. If you are new to PP I am not sure that the full version of the Photoshop is the way to go. You need to spend more time taking photos and less time on PP if this is your first dSLR...

01-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, I already have Photoshop so if I can use that instead of getting Elements, I'd prefer that. And I don't plan on spending too much time in PP for now, but there are pictures that I think could look better if I used some PP.
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Teaches the basics but in a way that everyone can understand and learn from. As for websites, there are a lot but here is one I like.

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community
01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

hope it helps

randy

01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice.

A couple more:

- Read the K-x Instruction Manual.

There is little point to buy a book and to benefit from it unless you know how to use your camera.

The Instruction manual is not always the most user friendly, but there are plenty of good information for your camera.

- Use your camera and experiment.
You will learn a lot by taking some shots and checking them later in your computer with a PP software (Element, PDCU, .....).

Also experiment with your camera. Try different things. Go outside of your confort zone.

Last year, it took me nearly 6 weeks to learn how to use my K-7, and I continue to learn 18 month later. Nothing wrong with that....

Hope that the comments will assist, and post some shots.
01-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. Maybe you guys can answer a quick question. I want to do a night scenic shot of the city from up on a hill. What iso would I want to use for that?
01-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
Thanks. Maybe you guys can answer a quick question. I want to do a night scenic shot of the city from up on a hill. What iso would I want to use for that?
It does not work like that. Use a tripod and experiment with the settings. The settings depend on the effect you want to achieve. Use the lowest iso and change the other settings and see what you get...
01-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

I don't know your specific photographic interests, but I enjoy these:
BirdPhotographers.net
(It deals with more than bird photography. One of the threads is Macro/Flora. You can learn from the critiques of other people's photos.)

mikemoatsblog.com
Moats is a Detroit-area macrophotographer. Some of his superb work is at his website tinylandscapes.com. He has self-published a book and has made other books available as e-books. He makes beautiful enlargements from JPG images (not needing to use RAW). He seldom if ever used electronic flash. He is not a Pentax photographer.
I think he is relying more on software from Nik Software (which has a website, with educational opportunities, at Nik Software Inc.) than on extensiv processing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Best wishes for the new year.
01-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
smf
Pentaxian

Also, I just came across this thread, which has some information on books, magazines and websites:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/127733-top-8-di...zine-list.html
01-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
no matter what if it is a night scene you are going to need a good tripod. I would use the lowest ISO and put the camera on P mode, use your countdown timer and go from there, see how if turns out. If it is too bright or too dark, look at the settings with the info button and adjust you settings from there. (you might have to use these settings in manual exposure as a start and then do your trial and error from there)

good luck and post the results, sounds like it could be a good photo

randy
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well, I'll have to go back up there and take some more pictures. The park cop made us leave, lol. What pictures I did get were not as good as I had hoped, but I didn't get too much time to experiment. The one pano I did was with 2 second shutter, f5.6, and on is0800. Used the kit 50-200mm lens at 50mm.

I can't find any site that will let me upload it at full size, but here is the resulting pictures. Stitched together in Microsoft ICE.