Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help needed for a Newbie

Dear All
Hello. I hope you are all enjoying the new year!

I recently purchased a Pentax K-X with twin lens kit as an upgrade from my previous bridge camera. I did a lot of research and finally decided this was the best one for me.
The problem is I think it may be faulty. I didn't get it out straight away as things have been so hectic in the run up to christmas.

When you put it in the position that it has difficulty focussing when you press down the shutter halfway the flash fires weekly and it won't take a photograph. it also makes a buzzing sound like there is a loose connection. the company I bought it from advertises that they won't take faulty returns after the 28 day period, which it is about 5 days over. I am gutted.

can anyone confirm if it is or isn't faulty?
cheers

01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not faulty. That is the AF assist doing work. If you are in a lowlight situation the pop up flash will fire a few times (weakly) to illuminate the subject and help the AF. There is nothing wrong with your camera.
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blossomskater Quote
When you put it in the position that it has difficulty focussing when you press down the shutter halfway the flash fires weekly and it won't take a photograph. it also makes a buzzing sound like there is a loose connection.
In AF-S mode, half depressing the shutter initiates autofocus, and in low light, the flash may strobe the subject in an attempt to find a sufficiently contrasty edge to focus on.

Please confirm that the 'buzzing' you hear is the lens attempting to focus (the focus ring should be spinning).

If focus is not achieved, the camera will not take a shot. Depending on how you have the sounds set in the menu, you should hear a beep when focus is achieved. If you never heard a beep, nor saw the focus indicator in the viewfinder, that is why the shutter didn't release.

I would suspect that this is only happening in really challenging (read: dark) conditions and is completely normal. You do need to 'help' the camera in those situations by using the center focus point, ensuring it is on a hard edge that the camera can focus on, and potentially using a lens with a larger aperture.
01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. I am very grateful! I will have a play with it.

I usually take daylight shots, but the weather has been bad so sticking to using it indoors until its a bit better.

01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blossomskater Quote
Thank you. I am very grateful! I will have a play with it.

I usually take daylight shots, but the weather has been bad so sticking to using it indoors until its a bit better.
Put camera in Manual focus... it will take a photo no matter if in focus or not. This way, at least you'll know if camera works at all...