Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
That particular one is still available on eBay.
and i'm guessing will be for a long time unless someone is looking for parts to repair another (and I wouldn't pay that for a parts lens given how high the shipping will be on that beast)

01-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

From the OP

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
taken on a tripod , little green hand on, timer used ect to stop shake.
Turn off SR when using timer on tripod... Image will be sharper!
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One thing that has been glossed over here is the Depth of Field using a 300mm lens at some distance.

Using DOFmaster, the DOF at 300mm, F14.3, and 100 feet is 19 feet, 2/3 of which is behind the focal point. Depending on the exact distance to the focal point, corner-to-corner sharpness may not be physically possible.

That physical truth, along with the 55-300 being soft at 300mm - combined with leaving shake reduction on, on a tripod - caused the softness of the trees you are examining so closely.

These are all valuable discussion points and demonstrate the importance of knowing your equipment and its limitations in the field.
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

If the mentioned timer was the 2 or 3 second timer, it is implied that SR is off. Maybe OP can confirm what was used. My K10D went in for minor service so I can't verify it's behaviour regarding the hand symbol in combination with the 2s/3s timer.

01-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

He said in the first post... "Little green hand on" I have already quoted this...

That is what I thought too... But his OP says "little green hand on, timer used ect to stop shake"...

The SR looks for shake... When camera is completely stable this 'seeking' behaviour infact creates its own...

The green hand (SR) has caused the blur the OP is concerned about IMO
01-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #36
MSD

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
Using DOFmaster,
I didn't know that this was around. Very useful.
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
still available on eBay.
Hard to believe
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
He said in the first post... "Little green hand on" I have already quoted this...

That is what I thought too... But his OP says "little green hand on, timer used ect to stop shake"...

The SR looks for shake... When camera is completely stable this 'seeking' behaviour infact creates its own...

The green hand (SR) has caused the blur the OP is concerned about IMO
Sorry I said green hand should have said green hexagon, and as you know on a K10d if you use the auto focus once focused the green hex comes on when if you have the 2 second timer activated the however the sr is automatically switched off, apologies for the confusion.

I think we have reached the conclusion for the trees,
A, far end of the lens = soft if examined to closely
B too wide a aperture adding to this state.
C high ISO adding to this state
D shallow DOF which although not in the case of the 2nd tree which is supposed to be sharp does explain why the trees either side are out of focus .the trees are in fact quite a few feet apart but the spaces are foreshortened by the zoom effect.

I also found this Explaining “Image Resolution” and View > Print Size | Photography Tutorials | Planet Photoshop which makes interesting reading as well and answers part of my original questions.
thanks guys for the input very interesting couple of days
Alistair