Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Failure to Launch

On my old trusty K100D, there is often a delay between when I press the shutter button and when it actually releases. I assume the camera is searching to get a good focus on the scene, because once it is happy with the focus, it will release the shutter. If I switch to the manual focus mode, it always releases when the button is pressed.

Does anyone know of a way to configure the settings so that I can leave the camera in auto-focus mode, but have the camera release the shutter when the button is pressed, regardless of whether the shot is in focus or not?

01-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

AF-C if the camera is so equipped.
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

You may be able to set the "OK" button as a focus button, instead of using the shutter button. I did this on my k200, works like a charm.

Not 100% sure if this is possible on the k100 though. I found the setting in the custom functions menu, may be worth a look

Last edited by ragingtornado; 01-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.
01-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ragingtornado Quote
You may be able to set the "OK" button as a focus button, instead of using the shutter button. I did this on my k200, works like a charm.

Not 100% sure if this is possible on the k100 though. I found the setting in the custom functions menu, may be worth a look
*ist DS can, so I guess K100D should as well.

01-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
The D100 can use the OK button as a focus button as well, and while it can be done, it doesn't really improve the problem. I was looking for a way to tell the camera to always release the shutter when the button is fully depressed, regardless of whether it was satisfied with the focus. Assigning the focus to the OK button requires holding the camera awkwardly to be able to press both buttons when shooting. I'm usually holding the camera at arms length and shooting one-handed, hoping one of the shots catches what I'm pointing the camera at.

The camera was already set on AF.C, so that doesn't help. Putting it in manual focus doesn't help much either. Since I can't usually get my face to the eyepiece, I'd like the camera to try to focus, but even if it is not satisfied with the focus, to go ahead and take the shot. Right now what it often does is searches for focus for a while, then refuses to take the shot. The hexagon icon in the viewfinder just continues to blink. You can simulate it by pointing the camera at a blank wall: it will try to find something to focus on, then just stop trying, and the hexagon will just blink. But the shutter will never operate.

I read the manual again to see if there was any mention in there about it but didn't find anything. I was hoping someone out there might know a work-around.
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hriddle Quote
...The camera was already set on AF.C, so that doesn't help...
Your k100d works differently than mine, on AF.C it should take the picture when the shutter is fully pressed irregardless of what's happening focus wise. This is how AF.C is supposed to work. I'd double check the menu that yours is on AF.C, if so your camera seems to be faulty.

I don't think it should matter, but what lens are you using?
01-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Again, I'm working with a k200 here, but i would think the k100 would be the same:

QuoteOriginally posted by hriddle Quote
The D100 can use the OK button as a focus button as well, and while it can be done, it doesn't really improve the problem. I was looking for a way to tell the camera to always release the shutter when the button is fully depressed, regardless of whether it was satisfied with the focus. Assigning the focus to the OK button requires holding the camera awkwardly to be able to press both buttons when shooting.
When the "OK" button is assigned to focus, instead of the half-pressed shutter release, the camera will take the photo regardless of whether it thinks the scene is in focus or not. It is basically the same as having the camera in MF, but the camera will auto-focus only when you press the "OK" button.

I use this function for the same reasons you describe, and it works well for me (I never have to hold the "OK" and shutter release at the same time, as you say, that would be pretty awkward). Just hold the "OK" button until you hear the confirmation beep, the camera will not attempt to change focus until you press the "OK" button again, and you can fire away at any time

AF-C should work as well, though. The scene should not have to be in focus for the shutter to release. Check your custom functions menue and see if there is an option that has been changed?

01-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
The camera was set to AF.C, but when it couldn't find focus, the hex icon would blink and the shutter wouldn't release. I checked the menu options again. I had the "AF Point" option set to "Select", the second option...where you can use the rear buttons to select what part of the image the camera will use to focus on. I changed it back to "AUTO", and the shutter started releasing again, even if the hex was blinking. Weird.

So I went back into the menu and reverted the Focus Area "AF Point" setting back to "Select" to see if that was the problem, and the shutter was was stilll working normally.

I'm not sure what this problem was, and I question whether what I did could have had any real bearing on the solution, but that's all I did and the problem disappeared.

BrianR: I was initially using a simple kit lens (DA18-55), but I tried using a Pentax 1980 vintage 40mm f2.8 prime lens with manual focus. When you're using manual lenses, the hex LED will still display focus status, and the red LED will display in the viewfinder showing you the focus point just like with an auto-focus lens. I was having the same symptom with both lenses...blinking hex LED and no shutter release. So I deduce it wasn't caused by the lens/camera relationship.

It could be some weird firmware thing where setting one thing affects something else, but who knows. The camera is working now regardless.

Thanks guys!