Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the k200d firmware 1.01 update is only to improve sd card compatiability.
You are correct, it was the ability to use higher capacity "SDHC" cards

I see the thread title has nothing to do with the problem which is scrutinizing a K200d
sensor. My pics would look like that also if I looked at them at 400%.

01-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you, everyone who has posted in response to my initial concern. I've come to the conclusion, after reviewing pre-firmware update images, that the firmware did what it was supposed to do. However, I've been carefully studying the DNG v PEF v JPG images, and - at least for my own use with the K200D, have arrived at the conclusion that the DNG files are decidedly superior to the PEF for RAW files, and that even prefer the JPG files (at the 3-star setting) to the PEF files. I've posted a few "screen shots" of the wires in my window screen that show the differences. To those who accuse me of "pixel peeping" - call it what you will, I like the cleaner images. No, it is not a lab test - just used a central portion of the image taken with my DA 40mm Limited at 5.6 aperture, ISO200 on A priority to get as clean an image as I thought was easily gotten. Here are the three images that provided the basis for my conclusion:
3162PEF screen shot at 400pc Pentax Photo Browser pictures from midwest photos on webshots (PEF)
3162JPG screen shot at 400pc Pentax Photo Browser pictures from midwest photos on webshots (JPG)
3159DNG screen shot at 400pc Photoshop CS3 Camera RAW pictures from midwest photos on webshots (DNG)
Again - thanks for your comments and thoughts.
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by canonfather Quote
Thank you, everyone who has posted in response to my initial concern. I've come to the conclusion, after reviewing pre-firmware update images, that the firmware did what it was supposed to do. However, I've been carefully studying the DNG v PEF v JPG images, and - at least for my own use with the K200D, have arrived at the conclusion that the DNG files are decidedly superior to the PEF for RAW files, and that even prefer the JPG files (at the 3-star setting) to the PEF files. I've posted a few "screen shots" of the wires in my window screen that show the differences. To those who accuse me of "pixel peeping" - call it what you will, I like the cleaner images. No, it is not a lab test - just used a central portion of the image taken with my DA 40mm Limited at 5.6 aperture, ISO200 on A priority to get as clean an image as I thought was easily gotten. Here are the three images that provided the basis for my conclusion:
3162PEF screen shot at 400pc Pentax Photo Browser pictures from midwest photos on webshots (PEF)
3162JPG screen shot at 400pc Pentax Photo Browser pictures from midwest photos on webshots (JPG)
3159DNG screen shot at 400pc Photoshop CS3 Camera RAW pictures from midwest photos on webshots (DNG)
Again - thanks for your comments and thoughts.
The lines are cleaner because the camera sharpened them for you. With raw, its isn't touching the data and allowing you to do what needs to be done for each unique image. Add some contrast and sharpening to the DNG and it will look better than the jpeg
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

have arrived at the conclusion that the DNG files are decidedly superior to the PEF for RAW files
DNG and PEF do contain identical raw image data. I am afraid that your conclusion is wrong, and here is why (see text in red):

The mistake you are apparently repeatedly making is processing DNG and PEF with two different tools, then assuming final results are different because source data are of different quality. However, processing is different, source data are the same. DNG and PEF just package the same image data in a different way.

Thus, your conclusion is incorrect and should in fact read "that the Photoshop CS3 Camera RAW is decidedly superior to the Pentax Photo Browser for RAW files processing" (at given settings of course). Try processing both DNG and PEF with Photoshop CS3 Camera RAW (in fact, Adobe Camera RAW or ACR) and see what happens.

One more remark: Pentax Photo Browser output (processed PEF file) exhibits very visible JPEG compression artifacts. I am not using it (I use Lightroom), but I simply can not believe that what you are getting is the best Pentax Photo Browser could do. There must be a setting that currently sits at medium or low JPEG quality, make sure is on high or best or whatever the setting is.