Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great read to understand exposure

This is what I found that is a great way of looking at how correct exposure works

"So now we know what metering is, the next thing to understand is exposure. An exposure value (EV) is the total amount of light available, where as exposure (in our cameras) is the way we use that light. To explain exposure, Iíll use a common analogy of a bucket and a water tap, where water is an analogy for light. For a correctly exposed scene, we need to fill the bucket to the brim. If the bucket is not quite full of water, the scene/picture is underexposed. If we over fill the bucket, water spills away and detail is lost, which is equivalent to over exposing a scene, commonly referred to in digital as blown highlights.

We have two primary ways to fill the bucket. We can turn on the tap to give us a very slow trickle of water (narrow aperture/high f-number) and leave it running for a very long time (slow shutter speed). An alternative way would be to turn the tap on wide open (wide aperture/low f-number) and leave it running for a much shorter duration (faster shutter speed). Itís really important to note that both methods end up with a full bucket/correctly exposed scene. Itís way beyond the scope of this article to discuss the implications of choosing aperture and shutter speeds as these often have different artistic affects and implications. But what is important is that we ensure we always fill the bucket, regardless of whether weíre using a huge gush of water or a drip at a time"

hope this helps new dslr owners

randy

01-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't mean to be ornery, but if you are going to post words written by somebody else, shouldn't you give them the credit by telling us who wrote the words?
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I don't mean to be ornery
Then don't be... A simple Google search and...

Its from Exposure & Metering | The Wonder Of Light
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Then don't be... A simple Google search and...

Its from Exposure & Metering | The Wonder Of Light
Truth is, I did that. Point is, I shouldn't have had to. If you post someone else's copyrighted material, you should include attribution.

01-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Truth is, I did that. Point is, I shouldn't have had to. If you post someone else's copyrighted material, you should include attribution.
I am not into taking credit for anything, nor do I want any.did it say anything of copyrights that I am aware of (but I have been wrong many times before just thought the info on the rest of the page might not be useful for some of the beginners
next time I will try to remember the link

randy