Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Usually portraits such as this are NOT at their best when too sharp - such portraits should have a nice soft look and your shot isn't far off with a little TLC !

100% agree with that statement.. particularly women of a certain age,,they want to flattered not reminded...sorry if that sounds harsh...but its true...my wife being one of them

seriously though, when doing portraits Im going to consider the client and what would appeal to them.....I recently had the pleasure to view a print of a older gentleman that was in BW, razor sharp..it just suited the subject.
sorry for my OT diversion

Back to TOPIC

01-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #32

Original Poster
thanks froggy Not sure what the sharpening brush in aperture 3 is, so could you let me know. I do feel a bit sad, as she has been softened with Gblur and then her eyes lips sharpened. I thought it looked very sharp around the eyes. So now you need to give me a lesson on your aperture 3 thingy. Agree with the blow out and shall try a little burning.
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #33

Original Poster
Have tried your advice and sharpened with smart sharpen and burnt white netting
Was going to put both on but realized they had same file name and wouldn't load both.
Attached Images

01-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Hi Trishytee,
I think the baby picture in itself is very nice, and I do not think that the burnt out parts in the front are too distracting. To me they seem to be part of a "high key style" portrait.

As for the sharpening, I will not portray myself as an expert, so I will just tell you how I would do if you like to try.

First I would create copies of the original image in different layers in order to be able to have the original intact.

I would then soften the image to my liking on a copy in one layer. But since it is hard to first soften and then sharpen selected parts on the same copy (since the bluring becomes worse by the initial softening), I would use another fresh copy in a layer above for the sharpening. Here I would use smart sharpening to sharpen the eyes to my liking. For this layer I would create a layer mask which I initially fill with black, and then I use a soft bruch of appropriate size to paint the layer mask with white (with an opacity of about 25-50%) on the eyes or other parts that I want to have sharp in the image (the white will make those parts "shine through" to the layer below). Since I have used an opacity I can go over the same parts many times to increase the effect, and also create a gradual transition to the the unsharpened parts of the image.

I think the description makes it sound more complex than it is, it is actually quite simple in reality.

Best regards,
Haakan

01-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
thanks froggy Not sure what the sharpening brush in aperture 3 is, so could you let me know. I do feel a bit sad, as she has been softened with Gblur and then her eyes lips sharpened. I thought it looked very sharp around the eyes. So now you need to give me a lesson on your aperture 3 thingy. Agree with the blow out and shall try a little burning.
First the tool : it's so much easier in Aperture 3 than in PS ! Just go to Adjustments ? Now go Adjustments / Quick Brushes / Sharpen .... I usually find 50% enough but sharpen to your preference. Size the brush to your requirement and brush in the areas you want sharpened. Same thing with the Blur brush if you want to blur some background out of focus.

Secondly - in this second photo you seem to have her perfect now, but maybe you've overdone the Burning - I think what you are looking for is the left hand side of the first photo - where some detail is just visible but the colour still compliments the whole photo.
01-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #36

Original Poster
Hmmm Haakan that does sound complex . Froggy I don't have 'quick brushes' I am using CS5. I sounds good but have searched high and low, even in the help but to no avail. Oop found it, it is in with my blur tool. Very interesting and I shall try it now that I have found it. what I do in my portraits is. After fixing any blips I create a duplicate layer. I than gaus/blur to soften overall image. I then erase the areas I want sharpened. But now I am going to use your idea in the blip mode, then do mine so my eyes will be stunning! which has taken me away from the original dlemma here. I see you use the tamron 17/50 so given that I need new lens choose the Pentax DA17/70 or the tamron 28-75 Ta much