Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robdrobd Quote
Thanks for the advice folks. My wife and I went on an energy kick and replaced all of the indoor lighting with florescent bulbs. I will try the tungsten setting as I want to shoot in jpeg format, not RAW. I will post a new pic when I shoot in Tungsten to see if it takes a little of the orange out.
Fluorescent is not the same as tungsten. There should be a setting for it in the WB menu.

01-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

WB settings according to light source

Thanks for the advice folks. My wife and I went on an energy kick and replaced all of the indoor lighting with florescent bulbs. I will try the tungsten setting as I want to shoot in jpeg format, not RAW. I will post a new pic when I shoot in Tungsten to see if it takes a little of the orange out.
Oh, no sir. Don't use the Tungsten WB setting if you're already using fluorescent light. If you do, the images will come out the other end of the spectrum - bluish. Use either the Daylight White or Warm Fluorescent which are also in the WB settings...

The settings should follow according to the light source, since it's the camera that compensates for the color, not the light. Took me quite some time to learn it too...
01-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Dear me.

I won't mention raw, but seriously, don't believe that an image like the one you posted can be rescued by adjusting colour balance. There is simply too little information left about the other colours, they are drowned by the amount of yellow. You can improve it, but not get the colours to look right like you could if you had had the less processed information file format (that which shall not be mentioned). I have QUITE a few like that myself from my own snap-shooting jpg days.

And maybe people FEEL good about having superiour knowledge about light bulbs and colour temperature, but if you DO want to shoot jpgs, and you DON'T want more colour-cast photos, (and, for some reason, you refuse to try out the auto-WB), there is one really easy solution: Next time you are inside your home with the lights on, whip out your camera. Take a series of uninteresting motifs with various manual WB-settings. Determine which one works. It seems so much more reasonable an approach than to discuss Tungsten vs Flourescent in this forum.

Voila. Next time your kids do something cute, you can have your manual WB ready in advance. Fiddling around with manual settings is good and well for stills. Kids that age are not stills - I have a couple myself.

Good luck.
01-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Sorry if I sounded too nerdy...

01-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I have this horrible lighting all throughout my house and can't seem to get a good picture. Can someone suggest a good setting on the K-X to straighten this problem out?
Use a flash.

01-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
And maybe people FEEL good about having superiour knowledge about light bulbs and colour temperature...

Let's be clear. This "superior knowledge" was something that was well within the grasp of every housewife in America who wanted to shoot home movies of their family in the pre-digital age. It's not superior knowledge...it's common knowledge.
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
At the risk of starting a war over JPEG vs RAW ignore those who say shoot raw. While this eliminates the need to understand how to set your camera, I will assume you actually want to learn about what you are doing
This is a patently ridiculous statement...
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Dear me.

I won't mention raw, but seriously, don't believe that an image like the one you posted can be rescued by adjusting colour balance. There is simply too little information left about the other colours, they are drowned by the amount of yellow. You can improve it, but not get the colours to look right like you could if you had had the less processed information file format (that which shall not be mentioned). I have QUITE a few like that myself from my own snap-shooting jpg days.

And maybe people FEEL good about having superiour knowledge about light bulbs and colour temperature, but if you DO want to shoot jpgs, and you DON'T want more colour-cast photos, (and, for some reason, you refuse to try out the auto-WB), there is one really easy solution: Next time you are inside your home with the lights on, whip out your camera. Take a series of uninteresting motifs with various manual WB-settings. Determine which one works. It seems so much more reasonable an approach than to discuss Tungsten vs Flourescent in this forum.

Voila. Next time your kids do something cute, you can have your manual WB ready in advance. Fiddling around with manual settings is good and well for stills. Kids that age are not stills - I have a couple myself.

Good luck.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why you found it necessary to denigrate those of us who offered help to the OP.

And I don't know that I agree the image cannot be color corrected. This effort might not be exactly spot on, but it's a small file and I only worked on it for maybe 10 seconds. Even if not perfect, it's good enough to make an unusable photo usable.

Attached Images

01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The bottom option in the WB selection screen can be used to set a custom white balance based on something that should appear white (say, a sheet of paper). Simply select this (right arrow) point the camera to the white object (it doesn't need to be in focus nor fill the whole screen) and press shutter (I'd recall) and you are set. This has worked great for me with the tungsten bulb replacements :-)
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

this change will add a new level of frustration to the problem, because florescents have their own unique problems, not all of which you can overcome with WB settings.

Florescents have a very narrow band width emission naturally, and this is helped with the phosper coating that absorbs the narrow band and re-radiates a broader band of light. The coatings "Attempt" to emulate either warm white (incandescent) cool white (slightly blue) or "natural white (Daylight) but unfortunately the mercury arc at the heart of the bulb tends to emit green and blue spectrum. The color also changes within the cycle of power from the utility. I did not believe this until I photographed a florescent tube at about 1/200th of a sccond and had different colors along the tube as a function of the time the shutter slit was over each part of the tube. Try it, you will be amazed.

As a result correct WB under florescent bulbs is a miracle at best.

To offset this, I would recommend using a s fill flash, and setting the WB to flash. That should help out
01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Dear me.

but the issue of lost information is really that the image is also over exposed which makes recovery of the correct colors difficult. I tried and produced an image similar to that posted by someone else, within a few seconds. I could have done better if the exposure was a little lower overall.
QuoteQuote:

Good luck.
This second point is very very good advise, and this is easy on the K10/20 or K7 (and probably K5) where you can take a shot and adjust WB on the camera interactively and see what gets you very close. Great feature work it out once, and set the "USER" mode to this WB setting. Then when at home you just set this mode and snap away.

Personally,, I think a flash, even the pop up would be better still,
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Personally,, I think a flash, even the pop up would be better still,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/128235-how-do-i...ml#post1331623

01-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
For the life of me, I can't figure out why you found it necessary to denigrate those of us who offered help to the OP.
Sorry, MPrince, the rudeness was not intentional. I just got the impression that people were getting carried away with lecturing on theory, when I felt the most sound advice would simply be a practical pointer to how not to end up with more wrongly set manual-WB jpgs.

And you DID do a good job with correcting the colours in your post above. I could not have done that with a jpg, certainly not in 10 seconds.

Last edited by MetteHHH; 01-07-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sorry, MPrince, the rudeness was not intentional. I just got the impression that people were getting carried away with lecturing on theory, when I felt the most sound advice would simply be a practical pointer to how not to end up with more wrongly set manual-WB jpgs.
No worries. The written word often fails to convey the nuances of what we intend that would have been apparent in a conversation (an affliction I suffer from probably more than most people! )

QuoteQuote:
And you DID do a good job with correcting the colours in your post above. I could not have done that with a jpg, certainly not in 10 seconds.
Thanks!