Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

How do I fix these terrible pictures?

I have this horrible lighting all throughout my house and can't seem to get a good picture. Can someone suggest a good setting on the K-X to straighten this problem out?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how about changing your white balance, don't just use AWB...
01-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Seconding luke0622, in particular, you may want to try the tungsten or one of the fluorescent light white balance settings.

Try setting each of the white balance settings manually until you find which looks best.

Alternatively, you can shoot in raw mode and select the white balance after the fact.
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the EXIF it looks like you have the white balance set to manual?

Try changing the white balance to Auto, or set a correct manual (or other) white balance.

01-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the Kx to have good AWB but I do PP every photo and will adjust the WB (especially for indoor shots) and most of the time I only have to adjust it a bit. You can figure out what WB is best for you by simple trial and error but I suggest doing that and shooting in RAW so that you can tweak it as you see fit.
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #6

EXIF show manual setting. i also use K-x and never had a problem with AWB in any kind of light (had problems with myself though . My suggestion would be to shoot RAW with AWB, then process in Lightroom or whatever the white ballance if needed, so you get a clue on how should be on the camera.
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Adjust the White Balance Manually (p.185 in the Operating Manual) .
01-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm in situations like that, what I do is by checking the White Balance first with a preview..

1. Ready the cam for a shot (fix focus and the rest)
2. Press the WB button (left of "OK")
3. Press on the +- button on the top panel near the wheel (beside the Green button)

When you do that, a white-balance preview of your shot will come up. On the left side you'll see the different WB options (AWB, daylight, cloudy, etc)... then like all of the above said, check which one looks best ^_^ Happy shooting!

01-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

shoot raw, AWB on and decrease orange saturation a little bit in PP
01-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Aggree with most... Shoot RAW... AWB... I'd also change metering to multi-segment...
Get a copy of Lightroom... Sorted
01-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Set your white balance to tungsten when shooting indoors under incandescent lighting.
01-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I will assume you are objecting to the orange cast which is caused by the use of incandescent lighting and having the white balance set to daylight. You should have the WB set to tungsten

At the risk of starting a war over JPEG vs RAW ignore those who say shoot raw. While this eliminates the need to understand how to set your camera, I will assume you actually want to learn about what you are doing

As for actually repairing the photo you have, even as a jpeg, this image can be fixed with most photo editors by adjusting the color balance. Personally I use corel's PSP X3 where the color balance can be adjusted by simply placing a selection tool on something you consider to be neutral (I.e. A shade of grey between white and black with no other color tint)

That will correct the color cast

If you are concerned about the second child being out of focus you need to stop the lens down more. Specifically increasing the F stop from F5.6 th F11 or more. This however will need more light or higher ISO. You may wish to try flash

I hope this helps
01-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
At the risk of starting a war over JPEG vs RAW ignore those who say shoot raw. While this eliminates the need to understand how to set your camera, I will assume you actually want to learn about what you are doing

Sage advice. Too many people lean on RAW like a crutch and a cure all.
01-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice folks. My wife and I went on an energy kick and replaced all of the indoor lighting with florescent bulbs. I will try the tungsten setting as I want to shoot in jpeg format, not RAW. I will post a new pic when I shoot in Tungsten to see if it takes a little of the orange out.
01-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

While this eliminates the need to understand how to set your camera
really?