Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pamzpix Quote
Photographers! LOL
What kind of carrying case do you use? If your lenses vary, do you have one that accomodates the biggest lens, and it will obviously hold the smaller ones? Or do you have several camera bags? Do you use camera bags?
Just wondering what someone with over 200 lenses uses.
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Just wondering why would anyone sane collect 200+ lenses and not actually use them to take pictures.
Leaving aside what passes for 'sanity' (HA!) I don't 'collect' these just to let them sit in storage, not like some people. (Even most of my film cameras are intended for use.) Part of the accumulation comes from buying batch-lots of gear, picking out what I like, then (eventually) reselling the rest to help pay for the others. Some of the stuff hangs around because it's not worth selling (yet). But most of the lenses are here so I can USE them, taste their differences, see as they see.

Storage: I have small drawer units from Ikea (no longer made) that fit into bookshelves, with lenses crammed in some sort of order. One wide drawer holds 20 Fifty's; narrow drawers may hold a couple not-too-long teles; some drawers are stuffed with enlarger and projector lenses. The overflow, mostly longer teles, sit on the bookshelves, blocking access to my comix collection. And some lenses are always in my bag(s) and so never get stored.

The carry-bag that's always with me is a large-ish over-the-shoulder teardrop Ameribag, very defensible (I got it after being pickpocketed in Guatemala), which besides passport+pills+sketchpad+kite contains my usual kit and the lens-of-the-day. Traveling, I may have 1-3 other camera bags in the car, stuffed with lenses and film bodies and gear. In a few months I'll head to the Arizona-Sonora border for winter+spring 2012, and I'll probably have a rather full kit.

I don't worry about moisture+fungus because I stay in high dry places. HA!

08-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I see your point, but I think I am going to test the theory, using one of my fungus infected lenses. I will take before and after photo's to see if there are any change. I am just not sure how long I should leave it, maybe untill the end of the year?
Getting back to basics, removing fungal growth is extremely difficult and can only be done successful with a chemical or radiation approach. Fungus needs moisture to propagate so if the humidity drops below its critical level the fungus growth is inhibited or retarded.
Although we all know what in meant, fungus is the wrong word, that generally refers to the mushroom family, we should probably be calling it mould (mold in the USA).

Storing your lenses in a dry environment such as a zip lock bag or a good quality food container that seals plus a generous supply of silica gel sachets will go a long way to resolving the problem. Remember to change the silica gel from time to time and don't throw out the used product just regenerate it at 120 degrees C for two hours.

Rick.
08-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Molds are a different plant altogether.
Molds have the fuzzy like growth while some fungi have the fan like growth which happen on lenses.
08-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I take back my previous post as after a little googling, molds are fungus..it is just another form of a fungus like the mushroom, yeast or lichen.
They are all fungus.

09-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased my dry cabinet and it is so much nicer than the plastic box w/ dehumidifier although it takes up a little floor space. And there is so much more room for lenses. Luckily my latest Ebay binge should be arriving (in Taiwan) in the next couple of weeks. Time to fill it up.
09-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I just purchased my dry cabinet and it is so much nicer than the plastic box w/ dehumidifier although it takes up a little floor space. And there is so much more room for lenses. Luckily my latest Ebay binge should be arriving (in Taiwan) in the next couple of weeks. Time to fill it up.
How large is it, or should I rather ask how long will it take you to fill it up? I decided to to try a homemade uv-c lamp for a while before doing the vacuum pack test.
09-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Technically, they're all filamentous fungi, except lichen which are entirely different - they're symbiotic organisms.
But whatever you call 'em, Rick in PA (hey, neighbor!) is right - store your lenses dry to keep fungus from growing.
You can buy silica packets which will adsorb water. I know that Lee Valley/Veritas Tools carries a number of products to control humidity, to keep tools from rusting. The nice thing about silica is that you can dry it in an oven, and reuse it.
09-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
How large is it, or should I rather ask how long will it take you to fill it up? I decided to to try a homemade uv-c lamp for a while before doing the vacuum pack test.
Each of the 3 shelves can hold about 6 pentax primes (across the front) and 3+ deep. But it would be difficult to find anything like that. I'm doubling my collection from 9 to 18 with the next box from the US. And then I'm STOPPING for awhile. I need to start saving for a potential K5 upgrade next summer.

09-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Pelican cases (1400, 3x 1550, and 1620) with
10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #40

If you dont have a Dry Cabinet (even if you do) you should store in a moisture barrier bag with a silica gel packet stored inside it. You can just google Silica Gel Packets and you'll find plenty of retailers! They are really cheap and some offer free shipping.
10-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #41
IMK
Inactive Account

Generally speaking, if you vacuum pack the lens with desiccant pouch inside, it should be well protected from humidity. However, this method is quite unpractical for active photographer, as the lenses will have to be taken from vacuum pack and then sealed again. The really best way is to use desiccant dry cabinet, like this one XDry, by the way, it doesn't cost so much more than vacuum sealer
10-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Accepting that environmental factors probably have the biggest bearing on the condition of your lenses how big an issue really is getting growth on lenses? I ask this as just recently I had all my lenses examined at a Camera shop and all were found to be good. We are talking 35mm lenses here and some were 2nd hand when I bought them so could easily go back to mid-late70's.
All I've ever done with them is keep them in the old style press button leather lens cases in a zipped up camera bag on a shelf in the cupboard indoors. Last time the bag would have been opened (before recently) would have been 5yrs ago.
10-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
Someone mentioned vacuum bags for storage. Is this the same thing used for frozen food? I have concerns about using this for long-term storage. Would the vacuum or suction migrate/pull the oil/grease to areas that could do harm? Maybe I can explain it this way. Vision a small plastic sandwich bag with a teaspoon of water in it. Wouldn’t the water migrate as you vacuum the bag tight? I could see using vacuum if a small portion of air is removed, add a package of Silica Gel and keep the bag loose. Am I out in left field thinking of this?