Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
When you are working a 12 hour day, 6 days a week, it is not possible to use all the lenses you collect, usually just a few favorites. Once in a while it is nice to take an old friend out of the cupboard again, and as I don't need to sell them at this stage, I'd rather make sure they are stored without risk.
I now have about 220 lenses. (And have sold another 110 to help pay for the keepers.) So many! So I have a lens-of-the-day strategy. Pull one from the pile, use only it for a day or ten, see how it sees. This way, everything is used and appreciated, or relegated to the slag heap. Some lenses make their way into my regular rotation. But none are wasted.

08-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Try an airtight food storage container. Anything suitable for long-term storage of rice or flour should work. Add a reusable silica pack to absorb moisture.

Search online for "kitchen airtight storage containers".
08-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I now have about 220 lenses. (And have sold another 110 to help pay for the keepers.) So many! So I have a lens-of-the-day strategy. Pull one from the pile, use only it for a day or ten, see how it sees. This way, everything is used and appreciated, or relegated to the slag heap. Some lenses make their way into my regular rotation. But none are wasted.
I'm only up to about 16 lenses now, and although a lens a day might not work with my work hours, a lens a week (usually Sundays) might, so I'll give that a try! I'm just glad I don't have 220, that would be a huge problem for me
08-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm just glad I don't have 220, that would be a huge problem for me
It's a joy, not a problem! The only problem is deciding, which one now? I've toyed with the idea of running a random-number generator to choose the next lens for me. That could get kinky, eh?

08-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Military ammo cans have an airtight rubber gasket seal.

Cat litter brand called Tidy Cats Crystals.

Place about a ½ cup into a coffee filter fold closed and staple.

Rice or Crackers
08-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
In Singapore a Peltier effect dry cabinet is the only way to go - a lightbulb in a box will not dry the air reliably.

Small dry cabinets are not that expensive, they work and aren't hard to find in Singapore - eg Red Dot Photo (Singapore) - Products
I've been to the local home improvement store and found them priced for $80-$125 depending on size. I really can't understand why someone would avoid that cost when they are probably talking about $1000+ in lenses. Now that I'm settled into a new (old) house and a new job it's on the shopping list. Otherwise I have the plastic bin with a moisture absorbing tub (possibly silica but it's all in Chinese) currently. But that's not the most convenient (no shelves and the silica tub takes up a lot of room).

QuoteQuote:
Would I be correct to assume that if you vacuum pack a lens, thus removing all oxygen, that fungus would not be able to grow?
I would be very hesitant to do this since you would have to be absolutely certain that you removed all of the air from inside the lens (is that even possible?). And what do you do if you're out and you get a get couple of rain drops on your lens? When are you certain that the lens is completely dry? Because your method with no air movement will be a breeding ground for fungus.
08-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I would be very hesitant to do this since you would have to be absolutely certain that you removed all of the air from inside the lens (is that even possible?). And what do you do if you're out and you get a get couple of rain drops on your lens? When are you certain that the lens is completely dry? Because your method with no air movement will be a breeding ground for fungus.
I see your point, but I think I am going to test the theory, using one of my fungus infected lenses. I will take before and after photo's to see if there are any change. I am just not sure how long I should leave it, maybe untill the end of the year?

08-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It has been very humid here in Michigan. I have my lenses in Vanguard cases.
For better or worse, I got some large size (blanket) vacuum bags
Put a bag and the case in front of the air conditioner vents so they dry out and fill with drier air.
Then put the case in and suck out the air, and store in the basement.Same for the spare bodies and computer equipment.
08-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #24

I'll take any lenses you don't use too much and i'll keep them busy
08-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
REM
Forum Member

I put my lenses in a plastic airtight ammo/dry-storage box. I toss in a few silica gel packs and some big bubble-wrap material for cushioning. I then place the box out of the way where it receives normal airflow and the ambient room temperature (i.e. not stuck in a corner of a closet or out in garage).
08-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Photographers! LOL
What kind of carrying case do you use? If your lenses vary, do you have one that accomodates the biggest lens, and it will obviously hold the smaller ones? Or do you have several camera bags? Do you use camera bags? I use an overnight luggage thing with zippered pouches on each side. The middle of the bag holds my camera bodies (I can get one camera and the 100-300 lens attached in there or both bodies w/ 70-200) and the 'lid' has a zippered pouch for extra batteries and SD cards. It's not a professional carrying case, but it works for me and since I'm not a professional I can sleep at night. I know a guy who has gotten into photography and he has a big hard case he hauls around. I also know a professional photographer that uses a big canvas bag. Just wondering what someone with over 200 lenses uses.
08-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #27
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At your local hobby store or online, you can buy bulk silica gel normally used for drying fresh flowers. Place a bed of this in a Tupperware-type container, wrap the lens in newspaper, put the lid on and store. Most of these gels will change colour if they get saturated. If this happens, speed it on a baking pan, pop it in the oven for an hour or two and dry it out.
08-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pamzpix Quote
Just wondering what someone with over 200 lenses uses.
Just wondering why would anyone sane collect 200+ lenses and not actually use them to take pictures.
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Just wondering why would anyone sane collect 200+ lenses and not actually use them to take pictures.
Wow, putting it that way really throws most hobby collectors into the insane group, that's a lot of people. The shame is when that insane lens collector has the lens you covet gathering dust.
08-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Would I be correct to assume that if you vacuum pack a lens, thus removing all oxygen, that fungus would not be able to grow?
Removing air may only prevent those that live aerobically but there might also be those that are anaerobic (those that live in the absence of air), I'm not really sure but the factor that seems to be common for them to live is the humidity or presence of water or moisture.
It would be more of remove the H20 and that would prevent the fungus to grow that is why most dry cabinets have a hygrometer to monitor the moisture in the air.
There are portable hygrometers sold at Walmart or even at Ebay.
There should be plenty of materials on the internet for what relative humidity to maintain to prevent fungus growth and that is what you just need to achieve with the hygrometer.
It is also best that dry cabinets (with clear windows or transparent) are exposed to daylight since UV (correct me if I'm wrong) is detrimental to the fungus' growth..so actually exposing contaminated lens to the sun for long periods of time kills them.