Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k5 pop-up flash hook (that holds the flash down) broken...

It had to happen ...

While taking my camera out of the bag this morning, I accidentally open the pop-up flash and broke the small "hook" that hold it down.

So the flash is always up.

Is it "safe" to tape it down for a couple of days before I can go to the shop and have it repaired (and/or replaced because of sensor stain) (this week-end or if possible in 2, 3 weeks because I have things to shoot with high iso and no flash)?

I'm shooting in Av/TaV and M. I don't think the flash automatically pops up in those mode; so I assume I should be ok.

Thanks.

Max.

01-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

How could taping it down hurt anything?
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
I don't know, maybe wear down the mechanism ? trigger the flash when popup flash is down ?

?
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Thesorus Quote
I don't know, maybe wear down the mechanism ? trigger the flash when popup flash is down ?

?
See if the camera allows you to go faster than 1/180th in Tv mode after it's taped down. If you can, the flash won't fire.

01-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I doubt you're going to hurt anything holding the flash down. Instead of tape however, I would use a rubber band. Loop an end of rubber band under the viewfinder, give it a single twist so the rubber band is in a figure 8 shape and loop the other end over the front of the flash. Then when you want to use the flash, remove the rubber band. I'm assuming you're just looking for something to get you through the week here.