Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is why the advantage of faster lenses isn't necessarily at their widest/fastest aperture, but at their SHARPEST aperture. And the faster lens gives you a faster sharpest aperture.
This is something that should be explained to most 'original posters' of the 'what lens do I buy next' type threads... NB... Something I'm guilty of but have been aware of for a while

01-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I skipped right past this thread several times, wondering what the heck a "Wall About Lenses Advice" thread could possibly be discussing. I thought it had something to do with a discussion forum about lens advice.
01-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
Haha, Yeah, I meant "Walk", but couldn't figure out how to change it! Maybe an admin can switch for me?
01-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
f/8 is the sharpest aperture of most lenses, as a rule of thumb.
Indeed. But just to be a contrarian (or maybe a discordian) I'll note that some owners of fast lenses almost always use them wide-open, because that's why they were purchased. Some f/1.2 owner may reason, "I paid bookoo bucks for f/1.2, I'm gonna USE goddam f/1.2!" A lens I've been using a lot lately is a projector lens on bellows for general (non-macro) shooting, 127mm f/1.8 for the thinnest DOF around. Some projector lenses have iris blades; this doesn't, it's always wide-open. I *expect* that the point of the subject I've focused on will be sharp, and everything else won't be. If I want edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness, I use another lens. Oh yeah, that 127/1.8 cost me ONE BUCK.

An appropriate quote: "Sharpness is a bourgeois conceit." --HCB