Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question about IR remotes

I was told that using a capture cable is a good way to take clear shots on a tripod. Since I can't use a capture cable, I was looking at getting an IR remote and if they work generally the same?

As well as I can tell an IR remote will take a picture every time I click the remote, but won't burst if I hold the button down?

Do I have to be directly in front of the camera to use it, or will I be able to hold the IR remote right over and slightly in front of the camera to take shots while using the live view screen?

Any one have experience withthis IR remote?

01-07-2011, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It won't burst fire unless you set camera to burst mode...
What iscool is the way youcan set one click to open shutter and one click to close in bulb mode... or hold button dow to open... release to close...

I've set mine off from behind... no problem
01-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They work a little differently depending on which camera you have. The K-5, K-7, K20D and K10D have IR receivers in front and in back, other cameras just in front (not sure about the *ist D). And there are some differences in how the remote works. The click to open the shutter, click to close option is only on newer cameras.

I got a remote that looks like that for my brother, about $5 from DealExtreme with free shipping. If you have a couple of weeks to wait, that's obviously cheaper.
01-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got that remote and it works fine with my K-x. I spent $4 for mine from a different vendor - either DealExtreme or eBay (can't recall as I have 2 different ones - don't ask).

01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My El-Cheapo remote works reasonably well from behind the camera too as long as there is something from which the light can bounce to the sensor (inside & short distances, a wall / ceiling / floor usually reflects enough it seems).
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My *istD only works from the front, and the range is somewhat limited I found also. I've not tried it on my K7. I also found on the *istD that I could only do one shot at a time. The *istD doesn't have all the extra features in the camera menu that the K7 does, so it may be somewhat limited.