Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #31
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The choice between M and Av (or any other mode) is not a 'for-all-time' decision, nor is it relevant to consider any mode preferable than the other. Each mode has its utility in a particular setting - and the need usually declares itself when the circumstance arises.

Av gives me control over DoF, Tv gives me action stopping control, TAv gives me both, M gives me control over everything exposure - including dragging the shutter on a flashed exposure.

01-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
All the modes on the camera are tools that the photographer can use to take the photo that they want. Manual control of everything will of course allow the most control if there is time to set everything. The more automated controls are for the photographer if they wishes/needs to let the camera make some of the decision. This maybe because the scene is dynamic and the photographer has to reduce the photographer’s workload so they can concentrate on settings that are the most important to the photographer. It could also be because the photographer has determined these setting are not as important and the photographer wishes to concentrate other aspects of the scene.
I agree with everything Daz has written above.

A year ago I was like you .... a lot of advice was given and most said Av was the way to go. In the end I decided to go with the guys who advised learning full manual, so I used the Green mode in situations where I really didn't want / or couldn't afford to lose the shot(s) and M mode at all other times.

It is a steep learning curve but one you quickly start to get a feel for and I believe this has lead to a much greater understanding of exposure than I would otherwise have at this stage of my learning process. I also notice that now I can look at a scene, knowing what I want to achieve from the shot, and immediately nail or at least come very close to, setting the exact camera settings I require - that is very satisfying.

I didn't notice anywhere that you state what camera you are using. However if it is a Kx, Kr or K5 (not K7) then the TAv setting is superb if you want to be sure of getting the shot first time and want to control the DoF and the shutter speed (this is the one issue I have with the Av mode - often I found the camera reduced the shutter speed to an unacceptable level and introduced operator blur into the shot) leaving setting the ISO to the camera within an acceptable range you have set in the menu (up to 3,200 in most situations for me and up to 6,400 in exceptional cases).

In conclusion I recognise my own attitude in you and how you have taken the time to learn exposure and my advice is continue that learning process and to select a mode to get you satisfactory results in situations you don't know how to control (it was the Green Mode for me) but take the time to learn M mode too as I believe the lessons you learn will help you in many situations for the rest of your life.