Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DubVboy Quote
Thanks for the tips Ira, I'll have to give those a try too. I didn't even realize that the f-stop was set there until you posted that. I went over most of my photos that noticed that most, if not all, were like this.
You were in Av (aperture priority)mode, so it's imperative you know the F stop you're using for a given scene in this mode.

If you were trying to isolate a flower from the background and BLUR that background, you WANT F4. But for the deer, you're going to want smaller.

And birds are a pain in the a** to shoot properly (with a camera), so don't sweat that too much for now. It's extremely difficult to nail focus on a small bird that only occupies a small part of the frame, even if that bird ain't moving much.

But remember that small birds like that are ALWAYS moving, even if it doesn't look like it. So up your ISO to whatever it takes to give you a decent DOF F stop (8 to 11 or even smaller if possible)...at a shutter speed of 1/500 or so.

There's a tendency of a lot of people (me included) to never want to hit ISOs like 800, 1200, etc. for outdoors work. But if that's what it takes to give you the F stop and shutter speed you need for that particular shot, that's what it takes!

Also, if you're using Auto ISO, lose it--and start practicing with manual ISO, where you yourself always select the exact number.

01-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shot some more "pseudo-macro" shots (I say pseudo because they're not all that small.). Haven't got a chance to get outside during prime daylight time to get and decent shots, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of things with this lens. Ira, I shot a heap at f9-f11 and it seems to have help out a ton. My shutter speed is still fairly long, but hopefully getting outside with a bunch of light with allow me to get it under 1/500. These shots are untouched as far as any PP is concerned so I'm pretty happy with them.