Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using flash

Hello,

i was taking photos of my little cousing playing football - i was using Av setting and it was around lunch time - thus under sunshine.

Then i used the flash at a point to take potraits of him with some friends - but the output was so much overexposed! I managed to take a decent one without using flash, but i didnt understand what i did wrong, or better said: what should've i changed in order to take a good photo using flash? I though using Av the settings would've changed.

thanks

01-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, with the pop up flash, you are limited to 1/180th or less for shutterspeed because of the native sync speed of the shutter mechanism. So, my guess would be that you were using a smallish aperture which gave you a shutter time like 1/500 or 1/1000th or something like that. The picture was well exposed. But when you popped the flash up, it went down to 1/180th and overexposed because you didn't compensate with a smaller aperture.
01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
ok thanks, so we can't just pop up the flash and snap a photo using AV, we should check the settings before hand...
I thought in AV, this would've been changed automatically...
01-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can but some of the setting (aperture, shutterspeed) would probably be flashing telling you its no good. Normally in Av mode, you are okay to just go ahead and shoot because it can change any of the settings to compensate for your chosen aperture. However, when you pop the flash up, it limits the camera to 1/180th or less so it can't compensate for your chosen aperture any more.

01-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
ok thanks, i will make some experimental photos using Av, S, P and M in order to understand how to use the camera with flash.

Thanks for the tips!
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Set your ISO low and use Tv if you want to use a fill flash in daylight. In Av, with a flash, no matter what you do, the shutter speed will always be limited to 1/180 second.