Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photography for Dummies

Newbie here, Is there a particular website where I can read and learn the terminology and possibly where I might could learn a little about digital photography so I can learn the questions I need to ask.
First camera besides a point and shoot and know absolutely nothing. Have the K-r 12 D-SLR and I am certainly lost.
Help !!!
Thank you all, Brianjo

01-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I don't know about websites for the terminology. I also am not sure what you're battling with? The camera or photography in general.

For photography
Understanding-Exposure (luminous-landscape.com) or Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed (cambridgeincolour.com) would be one of the first stops I think when it comes to understanding exposure
01-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Even in South Alabama, some communities house institutions called Public Libraries, which are often filled with books made of actual paper. Some of those books will deal with photography, and will tell you much about how cameras work. Browse those books, borrow whatever looks useful, and you'll learn all about the terminology, technology, techniques, etc. An extra bonus: these books do not require batteries nor power supplies, and can be read in places where computers are not allowed or are not feasible. Have fun!
01-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, DSLR's are only upgraded point-and-shoots - basically by principle of function they're the same.. They capture pictures It's just that they have more features- the lens being interchangeable, primarily.

You can also try out this link, this is where I learned:
Learn: Digital Photography Review

Sometimes their explanations get a bit too technical though, so like RioRico above, you can also look for simpler guides through books at public libraries. Good luck and enjoy shooting with your K-r!

Last edited by Alizarine; 01-11-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added link
01-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good book to start with. Enjoy yourself!
01-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Hi, Brianjo!

1) For now, I suggest you shoot in P mode--fully automatic.

2) When you have a few decent images, post them to your gallery here, and then link them to a new post. (We'll explain how to do this if you don't know.) Post one or two bad ones too.

3) From there, we'll look at the EXIF data for each image, which will tell us what ISO, shutter speed and aperture the camera used (among other things) for each image.

4) This will give you a head start on learning about proper exposure, as well as your camera settings.

You're going to find that understanding exposure isn't all that complicated, but since your camera gives you so many ways to get to the same place, it IS complicated. You're best starting in this P mode, and letting the camera decide everything.

After that, you'll try Av mode (Aperture Priority), which is where you decide the aperture of the lens (how much light the lens lets in), and the camera automatically selects the proper shutter speed and ISO (sensitivity of the sensor). In other words, in Av mode, your aperture never changes. You select F 5.6, for example, and whether it's sunny outdoors or dark indoors, it stays at 5.6, and adjusts the OTHER elements differently so both shooting conditions result in a properly exposed photo.

Feel free to PM me if you feel funny about asking any questions in an open forum. I'd be happy to help.

I'm unemployed, so what the hell else do I have to do?

Last edited by Ira; 01-11-2011 at 06:12 AM.
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If your questions are about photography in general, then Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure is a good place to start.

If your questions relate specifically to the KR, then I recommend you start by reading the manual. If you encounter something in the manual you don't understand then post a question specific to that issue, and I'm sure KR owners will be able to help you.

01-11-2011, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Even in South Alabama, some communities house institutions called Public Libraries, which are often filled with books made of actual paper. Some of those books will deal with photography, and will tell you much about how cameras work. Browse those books, borrow whatever looks useful, and you'll learn all about the terminology, technology, techniques, etc. An extra bonus: these books do not require batteries nor power supplies, and can be read in places where computers are not allowed or are not feasible. Have fun!
Dang - that's cold! Next you'll be making reference to missing teeth.

To OP: Try looking on line to see if there are any photo clubs near you. It's a great way to learn and get questions answered. Another possibility, check for classes at local community colleges or adult ed.
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Dang - that's cold! Next you'll be making reference to missing teeth.
Agreed. Such sarcasm directed at a first time poster is uncalled for.

QuoteQuote:
To OP: Try looking on line to see if there are any photo clubs near you. It's a great way to learn and get questions answered. Another possibility, check for classes at local community colleges or adult ed.
I think that's excellent advice.
01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
If your questions relate specifically to the KR, then I recommend you start by reading the manual. If you encounter something in the manual you don't understand then post a question specific to that issue, and I'm sure KR owners will be able to help you.
I suspect that when ISO, f-stops and so on are meaningless so is the manual. I like the shot auto plan best. Shot auto, then pass a very critical eye over the images, or at least some of them. Is the right bit in focus? Is enough in focus? Is it too dark or too light? And is it an image that other people would want to look at? When you know what the issue you want to sort is, finding an answer is much easier.
01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Brianjo,

Welcome to the forum. Here are a couple of camera simulators that will help you understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Here are a couple of links with enough information to keep you busy for a month or more.

Ron Bigelow Photography Articles

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/ - Don't forget to click on the Tutorials hotlink for more good stuff.

And the Articles section of Pentax Forums has a lot of great information also. Here is the link for the General Photography articles. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-11-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added the PF Articles link
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also learn more here Brianjo:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/115942-beginners-art...enclature.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/23232-learning-basic...echniques.html
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This is a decent site I found for very basic beginner tips on exposure and framing.

Camera tutorials and workshops by DSLR Tips
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've heard about those things. Weren't they big in the ancient world until they were all burned down or something? Man I wish we had something like that today.
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I suspect that when ISO, f-stops and so on are meaningless so is the manual. I like the shot auto plan best. Shot auto, then pass a very critical eye over the images, or at least some of them. Is the right bit in focus? Is enough in focus? Is it too dark or too light? And is it an image that other people would want to look at? When you know what the issue you want to sort is, finding an answer is much easier.
It's a little unclear to me from the original post what level of expertise Brianjo has. I accept responsibility for being too dumb to understand the exact nature of the assistance he is requesting. That is why I worded my recommendation the way I did. I don't know for sure if ISO, aperture, etc are meaningless to Brianjo. They might be, hence my recommendation to read Understanding Exposure or a similar general photography resource.

OTOH, he may have a general understanding of basic photographic principles, but is maybe confused on how to use a DSLR, specifically his KR. If that is the case, reading the manual is, I think, a good first step, followed by posting questions if he needs additional clarification on anything.

You are free, of course, to disagree with my recommendations and offer Brianjo your own recommendations.