Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good book to start with. Enjoy yourself!
I second that!

If you are anywhere close to Birmingham, 'Introduction to Digital Photography' is a great class and it is 4 sessions of about 3hours/session for about 100 dollars in total. Or they offer the same thing as a weekend course. Here is the website:
Birmingham School of Photography

01-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the many resources you have provided. I have looked into a couple of them and already have gotten a bettter understanding of camera functions, aperture,shutter and ISO.
As for as my level of expertise, it is zero. I have never owned a camera that wasn't fully auto.
I have always enjoyed beautiful photography and hopefully someday will be able to contribute.
As for as a library in these parts,I am not sure but as soon as school lets out the bookmobile will be passing by.
Again,thank you all very much. You have given me much needed and certainly appreciated info.
Brian
01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brianjo Quote
phy and hopefully someday will be able to contribute.
As for as a library in these parts,I am not sure but as soon as school lets out the bookmobile will be passing by.
Holy crap:

I'm 53, and this is the first time since like 1965 that I've heard the term and thought of a Bookmobile.
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
some links

There was a really good video series explaining exposure but they deleted it some days ago

But these tutorials are very good
Digital Photography Tutorials

01-12-2011, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I forgot to say. One of the really, really hard things about creating great images is being able to look critically at your own work, epecially if your family and/or children and/or pets and/or places of significance are involved. Cue photo of cute baby growing a lamppost out of it's head. We are so good at only seeing what we want to see, someone without the emotional attachment comes along and looks past the cute baby to the lamppost, distracting background, overexposure and poor focus!

So, I'd recommend this Flickr group to you:
Flickr: Photography Critique

You will probably want to lurk for a while and read what people are saying about the images before starting to contribute, but it has great potential for developing what is probably the hardest aspect of photography - not the techie stuff, but the 'seeing' arty side of it. Technique is simply the tool to achieve the ends, not the end itself.

Well that's my take on it. Of course having the luck to be in the right place at the right time helps, but as a famous golfer is alleged to have said, 'the more I practise the luckier I get'. For my money an artistically stunning image with so-so technical image quality is far preferable to one with fabulous technical image quality but which is boring and/or compositionally flawed and/or needs a bit of post-processing to 'get there'.
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am amazed that no one has mentioned Wikipedia

In any search engine if you type in a photographic term, and Wikipedia at the same time you will get a link to really good and simple explanations on any photographic term.

This lets you look up terms as you come across them in posts.

It is sometimes easier than just finding a resourse and reading about all of the terms one at a time, with no practical reference to really show you where the terms apply
01-12-2011, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Gallery
Here's one I really like...

ShortCourses-The On-line Library of Digital Photography

01-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote

So, I'd recommend this Flickr group to you:
Flickr: Photography Critique
This is very useful thanks
01-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm 53, and this is the first time since like 1965 that I've heard the term and thought of a Bookmobile.
Me too. I'm 55, when I was a kid I checked out books from the bookmobile all the time. Been many years since I saw one...

OK, to the original poster - 1st, if nobody else has mentioned it (I don't remember) read the manual. It has a lot of good info on actually operating the camera.

Someone also suggested to use it a bit then post some shots on here so we can take a look and offer further advice. Good idea.

I'd say for a beginner, start with a few shots in full Auto mode (which I did, even though I've been a photographer for 30 years) then go to P mode and try it.

You can also tinker with manual (M) and aperture priority (Av) and start to see first hand what the aperture and shutter speed and ISO do to each other. But first try to check out the links and references already posted and learn a little about how they affect each other. I like full manual (M) myself, it lets me set the aperture (fstop) shutter speed and ISO myself to suit the circumstances.
01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #25

I have noticed that Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is recommended quite a bit. For those looking for this book the 3rd edition can be found as an ebook. I bought it for the NOOK color through barnes & noble, and it is also on amazon for the kindle.
Just started reading through it myself.

Delia
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look into Scott Kelby's digital photography series. His humor does get a little annoying at times, but if you can deal with that, he does explain how to get decent shots in a lot of situations. As far as composition, there a book called the Photographer's Eye that is excellent. This is an under appreciated part of photography -- figuring out what draws the viewer in and Freeman does an excellent job with that.

I agree with the others that Peterson's Understanding Exposure is a good place to start as well.
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Agreed. Such sarcasm directed at a first time poster is uncalled for.
I was not attacking Southerners nor novices. But I think much can be learned by visiting actual physical libraries and reviewing the actual physical books many still stockpile. Nice thing about a library is, we can read many different presentations of the material and see which sticks in memory, and for FREE! Then if something looks like a useful long-term reference, buy it -- but buy it because it works, not just because it's recommended. I'm cheap that way. I avoid best-seller lists.
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As far as composition, there a book called the Photographer's Eye that is excellent. This is an under appreciated part of photography -- figuring out what draws the viewer in and Freeman does an excellent job with that.
Isn't that the really crucial bit of it? Without that it surely becomes a geek's or anorak's exercise in techniques without a point? A bit like collecting train numbers or aircraft registrations?
01-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

In terms of composition Michael Freeman's 'Photographer's Eye' is very good. His 'Perfect Exposure' is equally good.

Catsfive is correct... Forums and tutorials often 'gloss-over' composition in favour of 'technical' photography waffle... there is 'Theory' out there you can learn... But for most people... You either see and take the perfect shot... or you don't...

For basics on exposure...
Search 'Photography Tutorials' in Youtube... The face of a long haired gentleman named 'Robert Vasquez' shall appear... He offers 13 basic photography tutorials and some on photoshop too... I found him to explain he principles of 'exposure' and how camera settings affect it, in a way that was easy to understand when I first bought my camera...

Scott Kelby's books are an east intro too, although you only need one of them (they repeat themselves) and he has an annoyingly patronising writing style...
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Here's a very easy photography course which is free too. I am not sure if you need to register with this website to access the course but this is where I have learned so much.

twopeasinabucket.com photography course (Google that )